Ashura's Incarnation Arc - Chapter 18: Is She Gay?

Under the supervision of the Guild Master and four other gold rank mercenaries, the two hundred mercenaries split into four divisions and twenty squads consisting less than or equal to ten members.

Asura and Whirl who were mistaken to know each other was placed in the 3rd Division to maximize the mission's efficiency. Both seemed untroubled by the arrangement so they had nothing to say.

The mercenary guild's scouts mapped the geography of the forest as best as they could and chose the safest spot for the main units to set up temporary base.

As soon as they arrived to the rendezvous, the lead scout wearing a white cloak that blended with the winter snow greeted the approaching guild master and his army of mercenaries.

"Guild Master... Shouldn't you be wearing clothes?" Said the scout leader, he found addressing the Guild Master's health more important than his report.

Looking at the hooded man's expression, he looked genuinely concerned about the Guild Master's health. The latter's skin was starting to look as pale as a corpse as he shivered like a power drill.

"N-No... Denying the cold will make me weaker! Only when you face diversity will you grow stronger!" The Guild Master bravely declared before sneezing. As if inspired by his idiocy, a few of the mercenaries yelled and ripped off their shirts to flex their muscles. They later regretted it after feeling the numbing cold embracing their bare bodies. In the end, only the Guild Master was worthy enough to pull that kind of stunt.

"I-I see... Okay, well I'm here to say that the monsters had split so we no longer have to deal with a whole horde of them." The lead scout commented while turning his head away, he felt shame in behalf of their guild master.

"That's great."

"It's not great, sir. This means that we're surrounded by hundreds of monsters from every strategic direction. Moreover, four of the scouts went missing and two came back with severe injuries, they said they've been attacked by hobgoblins."

"The ones missing haven't come back? How long have they been gone?" This time, the Guild Master frowned.

"They haven't returned for the last ten hours. They may have encountered the strongest monster in this labyrinth. If that was the case, the chances of them surviving is zero."

If by chance those people didn't encounter a strong monster, they would have still froze to death with how much time had passed without anything to regulate their heat.

"That's a pity." The Guild Master paid his short condolences before he held his chin to deliberate on what order he should give next. Everyone was waiting for his command.

Seconds later he called over every Gold Rank mercenaries he assigned with a division and gave them the order to set up a temporary fort using all their units.

Every division burst into action as everyone scrambled to perform their own respective tasks. They brought five wagons stuffed to the brim with iron spikes and took them out of their containments for the strongest warriors to spread throughout the base.

Each iron spike dent in such a manner that they pointed outwards to serve as a barrier against the waves of monsters that will come surging in later.

A whole trench surrounding the base was dug by the mech pilot with effective ease using a pair of shovels slotted behind his mech's back which took him only two hours. He was mostly delayed trying not to step on the other people working beneath his mech's feet. Most of the workers kept a considerable distance from him, one clumsy slip and he'll crush ten or more people as easy as stomping on a bug.

Asura was assigned to Squad 14 with Whirl. They, along with forty other people were to build a makeshift archer tower to give the archers and magic casters higher ground since the fences will be blocking the trajectory of their ranged attacks.