Chapter 19: Road trip

____________

Life was good. I was happy, comfortable, and felt safe, surprisingly. I was living life as it was intended. Doing absolutely nothing. I ate, slept, socialized with the same five people, and that was it.

So boy, was I surprised when Callan invited me to an amusement park, and Damian said yes.

It would be my first time ever going to one. Since I grew up poor, I never really had a chance to go to one. And honestly, I was fine with it. But now that it's happening, I can't help but feel this excited. This really was a new feeling.

I was nervous as I lied on my bed, my stomach queasy and the smile on my face temporarily permanent. We were supposed to be asleep for an early start, but I just couldn't do it.

I could feel the heaviness of my eyelids, and I yawned before turning over. I heard scratching at the door and rolled my eyes.

I walked over to the door and allowed Skippy inside, watching her bounce over to my bed and almost immediately get comfortable right on my spot. It was probably because of the warmth.

I crawled next to her and sighed. My mind returned to the amusement park, and I was excited once again. I was definitely not sleeping tonight.

_____

I woke up feeling refreshed and content. I was giddy when I remembered what today was and I ran over to Callan's room. I opened the door and smiled when I saw he was still sleeping.

"Callan!" I hissed, shaking him violently.

"Wha-?" He slurred, his eyes still closed.

"It's today! The amusement park! We have to wake up early!" I reminded, still shaking him.

He slowly sat up and blinked. "Today? Oh yeah...." He flopped right back down and I couldn't stop myself from just dragging him out.

"What do I bring? Oh I bet Damian is bringing everything we need he's the most responsible I bet he prepared last night. What should I wear? Something warm, or something light? I want to be comfortable but I don't want to be too warm or too cold." I chattered at a very fast speed while Callan was unconsciously being dragged around the house.

"Wow. I've never seen you this excited before. You're acting like Callan." Sam joked. He was sitting at the countertop in the kitchen with a hot cup of coffee, smiling at me.

"Oh, well, I've never been to an amusement park before. Sorry I'm being too hyper." I apologized. Sam laughed and shook his head. "It's nice to see you're having fun."

A relieved laugh left my lips as I heard the door creak open. Damian waltzed in carrying a sealed box and set it on the countertop.

"Guess what we got from Aunt Liz?" He asked, a rare smile catching me off guard.

"More junk?" Sam guessed, though they all shared the same knowing look.

Damian nodded and tore it open. Old and random items were inside, and I was rather confused. "Why did she this to you?" I asked, taking a look inside the box.

"She sends us her old stuff when she gets anything new. We used to need her old stuff, but not anymore." Sam explained, but it still left me puzzled.

"We weren't very well off, financially speaking, of course. Mom was always sick and needed a lot of money for treatment." He explained further. "Aunt Liz doesn't know anything about the... Business, though."

I nodded, and ran my thumb along the old lamp. "Want anything? We usually just give these away to family or friends."

I shook my head and Damian nodded understandingly.