Chapter 16: Reason

I was confused when I was suddenly called into Damian's office the next day, by a man I didn't recognize, though his eyes were familiar.

They were like Damian's.

We entered the office, and Damian smiled at us, before gesturing towards the chair in front of him. Please have a seat, Caspian."

I nodded and sat, a little nervous, since Damian was intimidating.

"Sam, could you locate Amara? I need to have a word with her."

Sam smiled and nodded before turning away, and leaving the room.

"Now then, Caspian, I would like to notify you of some... recent events. Your father, is indeed dead. your friend, Rylan, however, is nowhere to be found."

I shook my head. "He's no friend of mine." I whispered, feeling a splurge of anger.

"I see..."

The door slammed open, nearly giving me a heart attack. And in strutted a boy.

His eyes, were just like Damians. But I had seen him before, when I met Arthur and Skippy.

"What is it Callan? Can't you see I'm a little busy?"

"Yup, but who cares! Adrian said that you said that I can't go out tonight!"

"Yeah... I did. So?"

"I'm going. I have to!"

"And why's that?"

Callan glared at him, and I couldn't help but notice the slight blush on his cheeks.

"B-because..."

That was all he said before turning and slamming the door behind him.

"Sorry about that. He can be so extreme at times."

"Nah, it's fine. It's kind of interesting.  By the way, have you spoken to Reaper?"

Damian nodded, flipping through papers as he discussed with me.

"He's decided to come back to exchange some information and meet up with us to discuss some new plans."

I nodded, my eyes searching his eyes, a little taken aback.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure. Shoot away."

"How was my dad...  Killed?"

Damian paused before slowly setting his papers down. He looked me in the eyes and sighed. "They didn't torture him, if that's what you're thinking. It was quick and easy."

I nodded, my thumbs twiddling together.

"Have... You ever lost someone before?" I asked, avoiding his gaze.

"Yeah. We lost our mother when we were young." He answered, his expression showing no hint of emotion.

"So, tell me, how am I supposed to react about it?"

Damian glanced at me, his eyebrows raised. He stood up, and walked  to the window, taking a long gaze out.

"I don't know... I guess it's different for everyone. We all grieve differently. Sam blamed Callan, Callan blamed himself.... Andrew and Adrian seemed fine, and I.... I just felt... empty?"

It didn't seem like he was talking to me, anymore. Or rather, to himself. I gazed at his confused expression before sighing.

"Will I ever feel sad? I mean, the guy sold me. He betrayed me, and never cared about me. He hurt me, over and over again. So why do I still feel a little... Guilty? Like I should cry for him."

I didn't even realize how shaky my voice had become until I was finished.

My eyes shot up, but all I saw was Damian's back. "It's okay to cry for someone you once cared about, even if you don't now."

I shook my head, and stood up. "No, I won't shed any tears for him. Not when he caused all this. But... I'll miss him. Well, the him that I used to love, I guess. It's just hard to cope with the fact that my revenge won't ever happen. It's almost like I have nothing to live for anymore...."

Damian's eyes met mine, and I could see how unhappy he was with what
I had just said.

"No... there's always a reason to live. The road's bumpy, sure, but at the end of it, you never know what awaits you."

I paused, letting his words really sink in before I smiled. "Yeah, you're right... I was just a little confused, I guess."

Damian nodded. "Don't worry. Everything will turn out fine. You'll leave here, and live your life freely. Don't forget about that."

I felt my heart sink at the thought of leaving this place. I wasn't attached to it, or anything. But the thought of being out in the real world, exposed, and alone, just didn't sit well with me.

"Uh... yeah..." I tried agreeing, but I was a terrible liar.

"Is something wrong?" Damian asked, finally sitting down again.

"No, I'm just a little... paranoid."

A swift knock at the door interrupted our conversation, and in walked a woman.

She was quite the looker. Long blonde hair, and eyes of blue. She was tall, and walked confidently.

"You called for me?" She asked, ignoring me.

"Yes, I wanted you to tell Arthur and Simon to look into that. Also, Callan had a tantrum about going out tonight, and could possibly attempt to sneak out, please keep an eye out."

Amara nodded and turned, leaving us once again. 

"That Callan seems like quite the handful." I commented,  feeling a little sorry for Damian.

I was a little shocked at his reply to this. A smile. A really, happy smile. It was a little unexpected.

"Nah. You should see Adrian and Andrew. They're a real pain in the ass."

I let out a small laugh at this, and began to remember Damian's previous words.

Now I know the weight of those words. He has a reason to live. And it's them. It wasn't just useless lip service.

"You really love them... Don't you? I mean your brothers."

Damian nodded. "Yeah... but.. they don't know that."

I smiled at him, and let him gush about them, feeling my heart settle. I had grown to like this guy. He seemed... A little more human.

A:N//
Thanks for reading! I'm sorry for the wait! :)