Chapter 9: Success?

I watched as the scenery passed. It all felt so surreal. I've been in that hell for a short amount of time, and yet it feels like it's been ages!

I looked to Hunter, who was busy driving, while I sat in the backseat, and silently watched. "Hey, Hunter, this plan worked a bit too smoothly." I admitted, my eyes glued to the back of his head.

He simply smiled. "Are you complaining?" He asked, teasingly. I just shook my head, a smile tugging at my lips. "No, no. It's just.... suspicious."

Hunter laughed. "I see. Well, don't worry. There's nothing to be suspicious about. The plan worked perfectly."

I nodded before glancing back at the window. "Why are you helping me? Isn't your job at stake here? Why didn't you just turn a blind eye?" I asked, questions still swirling around in my head.

He chuckled. "I could've. But you're our friend, after all. Why wouldn't I help you?"

I hesitantly glanced at him, my eyes wide.

"..... thanks."

He nodded. "No problem, pal."

Boy, that sure shocked me. That reminded me.... of.... something...

Who said that? Why was I remembering it?

I shook my head before leaning against the door. "I'm tired." I whispered as I closed my eyes.

"You can sleep. We have quite some time."

I nodded as I let my eyelids drop, and soon enough, I was asleep.

---

Hunter glanced at the boy in the backseat. He lifted his cellphone and dialed a number.

"We have him. Strangely enough, he came to us and asked us to save him. We didn't have to lift a finger. He'll be home in no time. But we have to lay low. The boss has tons of connections, and one of us could get hurt."

----

My eyes bursted open at a loud shriek. "The hell?!" I shouted as I looked around.

Clay laughed at my reaction. "You wouldn't wake up!"

I rolled me eyes at his stupidity. "Still. Don't freak me out. Where are we?"

He shrugged. "We stopped to get some snacks. Want something?"

I shrugged before he handed me some gummy bears.

I silently but happily choked on them.

"Oh good, you're awake." I heard someone say. I looked up, a bit surprised to see Rylan. "You're here!" I yelled before practically assaulting him.

He nodded as he laughed. "I came here as soon as you called."

I smiled at him before standing up. "Thanks." I mumbled.

He nodded before wrapping an arm around my shoulder. "No problem."

"No seriously. You helped me out a ton."

"Uh-huh. Whatever. Let's get going."

Hunter nodded. "You have a long drive ahead of you."

I smiled before walking over to him and giving him a big hug. "Thanks Hunter! Even though you helped me solely because you wanted to make the boss suffer, because you wanted revenge, thanks!"

His eyes widened.

"You.... how did you...."

I winked before turning away. "I don't care about the reason. I'm just glad you helped. Seriously, thanks."

He stared at me before laughing. "Don't worry. He'll do anything to get you back. So you better hide. This was just a selfish opportunity for us. There won't be a next time.

I nodded before looking to Rylan. "Shall we?"

He nodded as he got into the car. "What was all that about?"

I shrugged. "I went through his car while he was out to grab some things, and found a letter. Plus I overheard a phone call, and put two and two together."

He sighed. "I can't believe this all happened. All under three weeks..."

I smiled before glancing at Rylan. "Do you think we should pay a visit to my father? That is, after everything dies down."

He nodded, a smirk tugging at his lips. "I think we should.... teach him a lesson."

I closed my eyes, a smile appearing at the thought. "You think he'll wet his pants?"

"Definitely."

------

Lucas ran a hand through his hair. "Where the hell is he...."

Reaper just sighed. "Gone. I searched for hours, and I can't find even a trace. When was the last time you saw him?"

Lucas shrugged. "I gave him a job.... and when he finished, he just... disappeared."

"No one kept an eye on him?"

"How would he escape? There's only forests for miles! And we have people guarding those areas! And our employees know fully well who he is."

"Do you think someone could've helped him?"

Lucas shook his head. "They would lose their job, and their head. The boss isn't one to mess with."

"Well.... whatever the case, we should interrogate." Reaper reasoned. Lucas sighed. "I don't know how he could've gotten away... but.... we should check his dad's house. He could've gone back."

Reaper glanced at Lucas. "But.... his dad moved from there." Lucas nodded. "But he doesn't know that."

Reaper sighed. "If we don't find him, what do you think will happen?"

Lucas shrugged. "The boss wouldn't give up, that's for sure. He'll keep looking. No matter what."

Reaper glanced at the night sky, questions and possible answers running through his head.

"Well, let get going." Lucas reminded, and Reaper nodded before the two began to walk into the woods, hoping they would find him.