Chapter 10: Peace

"I still can't believe I got out of there so fast...."

Rylan smiled. "I still can't believe your dad was so deep in debt he sold you off."

I laughed. "He won't get off easy. I'll make him pay." Rylan simply grinned.

"So? What was it like there? Did they hurt you?" Rylan asked, making me angry. "Not really. But they were serious perverts! They kept trying to.... you know....."

Rylan's eyes widened. "Shit that's nasty." I nodded in agreement. "Hated every second there."

Rylan sighed before glancing at me. "Do you think they'll find us?"

I shrugged. "They could, honestly. I tried to escape, but this weird named idiot seriously caught me."

"Weirdly named?"

"His name was Reaper."

"Shit that's weird."

I laughed. "Boy, am I glad I got away. That was pure hell."

"Well.... anyhow, we should lay low for the time being. Just stay put in my house, okay? I'll do everything and anything you want, but just.... stay."

I smiled at him. "I still don't get why you're going this all for me. Seriously. I don't have any money..."

He laughed at me. "You're so silly. Please. We're friends. I don't need anything. Besides, you've helped me before."

I stared at him, confusion evident on my face. "When?"

"Freshmen year. You were the only one that talked to a dangerous kid like me."

I giggled. "You weren't dangerous! You were a huge softy! Everyone else was stupid!"

Rylan grinned as he stood up. "Well, I'm gonna hit the sack. If you want, you can.... I don't know, watch a movie?"

I nodded, the idea sounding quite nice as I watched him turn. Where would I be without him?

I flopped down on the couch as I turned on the T.V. I put some random movie on as I stared blankly at the screen.

I knew I was never going to pay attention to the movie. I just wanted to think alone. I mean, after everything that has happened, I couldn't stop the nagging voice in my head.

I curled up before questioning myself.

What if they come after me?

What if they catch me?

What will they do?

Am I really safe now?

I was a mess. I was worried, paranoid, mad, and relieved all at the same time. No teenager should have to deal with this shit.

I mean, they should be focusing on things like homework, career choices, boyfriends/girlfriends....

Well, at least I'm not back home with my stupid dad.

---

"Rise and shine, sleeping beauty!" Rylan yelled while shaking me. I ignored him, hoping he would eventually just give up.

But this is Rylan we're talking about, and he is one giant asshole.

So no, he didn't stop.

"Okay, okay! Geez."

He smiled satisfyingly. "Great! Now come have some food."

I practically shot up when breakfast was mentioned.

I sat down at the table and hurriedly picked at whatever I wanted. Rylan laughed as he watched.

"Did they even feed you?"

I nodded. "Well, there was a cafeteria for the workers, but.... I only ate there a couple of times. I was busy otherwise."

Rylan nodded understandingly. "Well, have your fill. I have to go to work, so make sure you stay inside. Okay?"

I nodded. "Wait, you work?"

He nodded. "A part-time job, so nothing big. How else do you think I afford to pay rent?"

I shrugged. "Selling drugs, like you use to." He shook his head. "I've quit that. Plus, I still have some cash left over, so I'm doing fine."

I nodded as he turned around, and walked to his bedroom, probably to get ready.

I hurriedly choked down on anything and everything. It didn't help that Rylan was an undeniably good cook.

"Alright, see ya. If you want a snack or something, there's some stuff in the fridge. If you want to take a shower, feel free to, and you can borrow anything in closet, okay? Just remember to stay indoors. It's still not safe for you out there."

I nodded. "Mhm. Wait, can I play games on the console?"

He nodded.

I smiled as he closed the door behind him and locked it.

I pulled out the game system but hesitated plugging it in.

Shower first!

So I walked to the bathroom and threw off all my clothes. I turned on the water, though it took 5 minutes at least to figure it out, and soon enough, I was being cleaned.

I rubbed shampoo in my hair, loving the smell that it caused. It smelled just like Rylan....

I scrubbed every inch of my body, feeling quite disgusted with myself. I was a total mess! And I couldn't take a shower since the stupid kidnappers couldn't be trusted.

I turned off the faucet before stepping out, and grabbing a nearby towel. I tied it around my waist, and grabbed another towel to dry my hair.

After I stared at myself in the mirror, I finally decided to slip on some clothes. So I walked into Rylan's room, and searched his closet for anything I liked.

Well, it was a good thing we liked the same clothes, but the problem was....

His clothes were too big.

Like, his shirt was so big, my entire left shoulder was visible, and when I pulled it up, it would slip back down almost instantly.

I sighed, but shrugged it off as I decided against pants. They were to big, and besides, Rylan's shirt would probably cover up everything.

I walked back to the living room and finally turned on the console and turned on the T.V.

For hours, I was playing nonstop, and having a good time. A genuinely good time.

I mean, I had finally distracted myself from the issues I had been facing the past weeks.

I felt.... home.

But would it last forever?"