Chapter 3: Victoria

"Get in the wheelchair, Mouse." Eustass directed. He and Killer had arrived early to visit and were already here when you started going through the discharge process. The two of them were more comfortable with the steps needed than you had expected and you wondered if there were a lot of injuries at their mechanic shop.

"I can walk." You assert, sliding off the bed after Killer had tied your shoes for you.

"Yeah, and if you don't get into the wheelchair, they'll sic an orderly on us. It's hospital policy." He grins and pats the seat.

You narrow your eyes. "You ass, you just want to be able to say you can push me around."

"I could just carry you out of here." He threatens, but the smile on his face tempts you.

You look between Eustass and the chair and then decide to sit in the chair. You're currently on day three of knowing this guy and there's no way you're going to catch feelings for someone who you don't really know. Even if his scars, eyes, hair, voice and body are hot in ways that you hadn't expected. At least when you first noticed him you could blame the painkillers.

Your face is turning pink, but you're not facing him so you're so safe.

"I'll go get the truck. You two try not to burn down the hospital." Killer says, slipping out of the room with your stuff. He held out the rumpled gift box from the day before. "Not opening this?"

Your eyes widen. The box had been set at your bedside, but you slept so much you'd forgotten about it, and then Coby had arrived and you napped before Kid and Killer showed up.

"Ack – uh, I will when I get home, I guess. I don't want to delay getting out of here."

"Don't like hospitals, Mouse?" Kid teases, pushing you out of the room and following behind Killer.

"Mm." You grunt the response, and seem to shrink in your chair as you're wheeled through the hallway.

"Care to elaborate?" There wasn't a tone in his voice. No teasing, no demand.

"In the car, sure." You answer automatically.

"You're not going to panic on me before we get there?"

"I never panic." You assert, maybe a little too forcefully.

"Everyone panics." Eustass said flatly.

"Even you?"

"Mm."

"Can't picture it."

"Flattery won't get you anything, Mouse."

"Oh, I bet I-." You stop, feeling heat in your ears.

You didn't need to turn around to be able to picture the devilish grin curling across Eustass Kid's face. You could feel the evil glee practically radiating off of him, and the worst part was that it stirred things in you. He could be married for all you knew. To Killer, for that matter. None of your conversations had been personal, or at least not overly personal.

You felt Kid lean down as his pace slowed just a little. His voice was soft and low near your ear, and you could feel goosebumps race across your skin.

"You bet you could, what, Mouse?"

You can't stop yourself from making a noise, an undeniably needy noise.

You half expect steam to rise up from your skin you're so red so fast. You put a hand over your face and just will the Universe to whisk you away before you die from literal embarrassment.

There's a hum from Eustass, and you can practically picture someone ringing a gong and awarding the round to him. There's nothing you can say to salvage your predicament, it's best to just remain as quiet as possible until something distracts him.