Chapter 7: Beastly

"I might be listed in the phonebook but that's no reason to-!" You exclaim to no one in frustration. It takes your four tries to decide what to text back.

You: Mr. Decken this is kind of unsettling.

Decken: My options were limited. I just want to be able to apologize for everything properly.

You: I already accepted your apology, nothing else is needed.

Decken: I am deeply sorry, I just want to be able to convey that properly.

You: You already have.

Decken: Please, Miss (Y/N). A single cup of coffee.

Decken: Think it over.

You make a face, but you don't know what to say. It's obvious that no matter how you handle this it's going to horribly sideways, and you're worried about pissing this man off when he already knows where you live. Doubly so because you live alone for the most part.

You: I'll think it over. Have a pleasant night, Mr. Decken.

"Die in a fire," you grumble at your phone. You consider for a moment to tell Kid about this new development, but you're fairly certain that the red head would just bury the source. You might not have any love for Vander Decken, or people like him, but you also did not want experience going to court over a murder.

You make sure all your doors and windows are locked before you grab and a shower and head to bed. You don't sleep terribly well, but you do manage to get some rest out of all the tossing and turning. Every little sound seemed to jolt you awake, and you were surprised to learn how noisy the apartment complex was at night – and how much of it you had been sleeping through already.

When you woke up the next morning you grunted at your phone in aggravation.

2 Texts.

Decken: Good morning, Miss (Y/N), I hope you slept well.

Red: Hey Mouse, the guys're doing breakfast in a couple hours, lemme know if you wanna tag along.

You text Eustass back first.

You: Just woke up, am I too late?

Red: Nah, still another hour.

You: K – that's enough time to grab a shower. I'd love to come along.

Red: Cool.

Pulling yourself out of your bed you pull off your pajamas and get the shower running. You send a text to Decken, only because you don't want to know what he'll do if you ignore him – at least not until you've decided how to deal with him.

You: Well enough.

You toss the phone onto your bed and grab your shower, letting the warm water at least ease some of the greasy feeling that comes from texting with Decken first thing in the morning. Your arm started to ache while you were getting ready, so you wrap it up and pull out the sling. After you get dressed and grab a hair-tie – you'd get Kid or Killer to pull it into a ponytail for you – you check your phone.

Decken: That's good to hear. I hope you have an enjoyable day, let me know about that coffee date soon 😉

You make an involuntary face and can't think of anything to reply with. The wink at the end made your skin crawl, and you almost felt like you needed to apologize to the emoji for being abused like that. You tuck your phone away and slip your wallet in another pocket. After a few moments there's a knock at the door.