Chapter 10: Buried

"No, it's okay officer Coby, I wasn't expecting any different." You admit, disappointment written on your face that Coby can't see over the phone.

"I'm sorry miss (Y/N), for all the ways the system works, the ways it doesn't, can be frustrating." He admits candidly. "I'll do what I can though, I'm going to at least add a note to the original case file. It won't change the dismissal of the assault, but it'll be a paper trail if things escalate."

"I appreciate that." You say, and you mean it, despite the fact that it doesn't help you right now.

"Are you sure you don't want to file a restraining order?"

"I'm sure. I know it can create an additional paper trail, but I'm worried it'll cause more escalation and less actual protection. Are you sure he's not a registered Devil Fruit User?"

"The DFU's public access, with a few rare exceptions, but he's not listed in anything I have access to. What you described doesn't sound like any effect I'm aware of, but I have some friends who can do some digging for me." Coby states, and you can hear him taking notes as he talks.

"I appreciate everything you're doing, truly. You could just blow me off since the case was dismissed, so I really do appreciate this."

"Aww, thanks Miss (Y/N). I'm just doing what I think is right. Please feel free to call me if anything comes up."

"I will, thank you." You say your farewells to Officer Coby and hang up the phone.

You were in Kid's guest room. It was almost the size of your apartment, maybe a little smaller. There was a large bed against the middle of the far wall, and it at least looked comfortable. Tonight, would be your first night in it. Emma and House had put all your things away for you when everyone got back, and they hadn't teased you too much. You were grateful they had at least given you a little bit of a ribbing, it would've made the entire situation worse if everyone suddenly treated you like you were made of glass.

The guest room came with a couple chest-of-drawers, a nice closet, and an attached bath. A full attached bath, which was really nice since most of the rest of the house was occupied by guys. Guys who you had come to trust over the last few weeks, but not having to worry about any legitimate accidental bathroom moments helped you relax.

You were on the 3rd floor with Kid and Killer. Heat, Wire, and two more guest bedrooms were on the second floor. The main floor was a living room, kitchen, dinning room, den, and game room. The basement was a damned shooting range of all things, spanning from one end of the house to the end of the property line, as far as you could tell. The whole place was huge, and functional more than anything.

There was a workshop separate from the house, but still on the property, a green house, and pool outside. When Kid had said he had a guest room, you had expected a 10 by 10 room tops, with an old bed and a drafty window that was only drafty because no one used the room.

Instead, you walked into an episode of This New House: Metalhead Edition and didn't really know what to do with yourself. There wasn't a big marble hall or anything, but the woodwork – from the floor to the accents on the windowsills, was skilled. Much like Victoria, the whole place was functional and elegant.

The house was further from your place than the shop, but not by too much. Given how quickly Kid and Killer got over to your place the last few times, it was obvious that they had been coming from the shop and not from here.

There was a light knock at your door. "Mouse?"

"Yeah, come in." You say, walking toward the door even as Kid opens it.