Chapter 22: A Light Touch

** The beginning of this chapter is From Eustass Kid's point of View **

Seeing the airplanes disappear into ash is a nice sight, and for a minute I almost considered building a prosthetic that has a flame thrower built into it. But now wasn't the time to be thinking about new builds. This attack was sustained, and a lot of items that were used weren't metal. I know I shattered at least three brittle ceramic blades, and the number of airplanes was fewer than the times before.

Something about the implication of that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I want to say something, but I don't want to worry Mouse, so first thing is to get her back inside. I turn to look at her just in time to hear the swear slip from her lips as the long katana slips into her body.

For a cold, terrible moment, there's no air in the world.

"MOUSE!"

Her hands move to the hilt as she sinks to her knees and all I can do is thank the gods she doesn't grab it. I'm by her side before I even knew my legs had moved, cradling her body so she wouldn't slump to the ground and cause more damage.

"Heat, go get House. Killer, call Law." I command. There's almost no way that creepy doctor will make it in time, but I have to try. I can barely keep my voice steady, but there's no room for rage right now. If I lose my cool I'll rip the blade out.

"(Y/N), stay with me."

There's already too much blood. It's in her teeth and coloring her breath. She's beautiful when she's red, but not like this.

When she looks at me, I know why she's going to say before she says it. Not that it's any easier to hear.

"Out..." Her voice is rough, too rough and I can barely keep my power in check. "You... have to get it... out." Her words bubble up in shades of red and my stomach twists.

"We need to wait for House." I say. House can't fix this. We don't have the facilities for it, and I already know that. Stitches aren't going to be enough; she needs a hospital. But she'll go into shock and cardiac arrest before we can get her to a hospital.

"I can heal..." She puts her hand on mine and it feels cold. "I can't while it's... still in."

I know she's right, but I know the risk. "If you pass out you won't heal."

If she passes out, I'll burn this entire fucking city to the ground. People will choke on the ashes Decken's bones while the rest burns.

She nods weakly. "You're right."

I can't risk it, I need her. I've never needed anything before, but I understand how screwed I am right now. People have called me a mindless beast my entire life, and I've leaned into that role because it protects the crew. If I lose myself to it, not even Killer will be able to pull me back, and I don't know that I'd even want him to try.

"House can-." Can't. House can't. I already know.

"Kid." She interrupts me. Her voice is too soft, but I can't stop her. "House can't... help me. You can. It's metal."

This isn't acceptable. There's too much I need to say, too much I want to say. She forgave me for not using my Devil fruit to save her hand before I even had a chance to beg for it, and I would've. I would've kissed the fucking dirt for days if it was what she wanted and she didn't even want a godsdamned apology.

I wasn't thinking about future shit, just the next day. The one after that. Another after it. The future was for idealistic suckers, promising tomorrows they couldn't see, and I'm not like that. Optimism is for freak shits like the rubber bastard and his crew.