five.

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

SEASON ONE — CHAPTER FIVE
"You don't know how long I've waited for you to admit that."

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Chaos. She remembered how many screams filled her apartment building. The second she looked out the peephole, she saw numerous blurry figures of people running down the halls. Mothers held onto their children. Fathers did their best to take care of their families, and most of them ended up failing. That building was insecure, vulnerable.

However, when the C.D.C. finally opened its doors, she knew that not one walker could infiltrate it. Ending up as a meal wasn't on the group's agenda, so they entered the building with caution.

"Hello?" Rick called out. An echo of his voice was his only response. "Hello?"

Hearing the cocking of a gun, the group pointed their weapons. In what seemed to be some normal black pants and a grey shirt, a man stood near the shadows, ready to fire. "Anybody infected?" His eyes scanned each individual for any specks of blood.

"One of our group was," Rick mentioned. "He didn't make it."

"Why are you here? What do you want?" the man asked, dubious.

Rick answered, "A chance."

"That's asking an awful lot these days." the man spoke.

Rick nodded. "I know."

The man inspected everyone's faces, familiar with their terror. "You all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission."

Rick nodded again, refusing to ruin their only chance at getting on the man's good side. "We could do that."

"If you gotta bring stuff in, you do it now." the man ordered, pointing to the shutters. His voice held profound urgency, making no one dare to disobey his orders. "Once this door closes, it stays closed."

Dr. Edwin Jenner was the man's name. The second all their stuff was inside the building, he asked Vi to close the door and shut down the power in that section. The more Alex saw, the more hope she developed. It was a place Katherine could grow up in and not familiarize herself with death.

As the group followed the doctor down a corridor, Carol asked, "Are we underground?"

Jenner asked, "Claustrophobic?"

"A little," Carol admitted, keeping Sophia by her side.

"Try not to think about it," Jenner assured, leading them to the main room. "Vi, bring up the lights in the big room." At his command, all the lights flickered on, revealing the equipment the C.D.C. utilized. "Welcome to Zone 5."