twenty.

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

SEASON THREE — CHAPTER ONE
"You can't even lie, that was fucking cool."

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Months on the road helped the group develop a system. The way they slaughtered walkers became more efficient. Scavenging took no longer than twenty minutes. However, with the birth of Lori's baby getting closer and closer, they yearned for a place they could call safe for a few weeks. That was how Rick discovered the prison. Despite the numerous walkers residing in it, he was positive that they could take it — and he was right. He had an annoying habit of that. Considering the interior of the prison was more than likely to have walkers, the group stayed out on the field after getting rid of the remaining walkers, circling a small fire while Rick repeatedly checked if the fence was stable.

Exhausted, Alex laid on Glenn's lap, soothed to sleep by a certain blonde's singing. As he kept watch on Katherine, who was playing with Carl, Glenn fiddled with Alex's hair affectionately. He discarded his jacket and placed it over her body. Lingering mosquitoes could no longer prick her skin.

The chirping of crickets mixed in with the groans of the walkers. The gunshots had attracted all the walkers outside of the prison. Although it was impossible for them to enter, they pushed against the fence, hopelessly clawing the barrier that kept them away from a mouthwatering banquet of human flesh.

Tomorrow would prove to be a long day, especially since the overrun prison was practically a goldmine in Rick's eyes. It would provide everything they needed — food, medicine, shelter, weapons. The risk was immense, but the reward was overly tantalizing to pass up.

Sighing, Glenn hoped everything would go smoothly, planning to monitor Alex in case fate screwed them over yet again. Eyes nearly shutting closed from fatigue, Katherine wandered over to Glenn, leaning her small body against his arm. She bundled his shirt in her tiny hands. Even though the baby didn't understand a word he said, he whispered, "I don't know why you are so tired. You get to be carried everywhere you go."

That was a lie. He knew damn well she was so exhausted. Everyone knew, limbs aching. Katherine babbled some incoherently, her tone laced with attitude. Chuckling, Glenn took off his hat and placed it on her head. Too big for her, it appeared lopsided, covering her eyes.

She didn't take it off though, wearing it proudly as she trudged into her mother's arms. At the unforeseen movement, Alex perked her head up, eyes broadened with consternation. Her instincts ordered her to seize a weapon, but she quickly reentered a state of equilibrium upon recognizing her daughter's face and feeling Glenn's hand on her back. "You're safe, Alex." Glenn whispered, nudging strands of hair behind her ear. She allowed Kat to curl into her chest, cherishing her warmth. "Sleep."

A blanket of security cloaked her as she realized they did not need to worry about ending up in a walker's jaw. She sighed in contentment, putting this current memory into the file named 'Best Glenn and Alex moments'. She wished her life could be like this all the time — Glenn and Katherine beside her while she finally didn't force herself to fight sleep.