fourteen.

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

SEASON TWO — CHAPTER NINE
"Careful, Darcy. Might start thinking you care."

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Luck was not something the group was familiar with. That was clear the second a car pulled up in front of the bar, one belonging to Dave's and Tony's group — two assholes who were now rotting on the bar's floorboards.

Despite the puny curtains, the headlights beamed through the murky windows. Holding her breath, she and the others sat down with their backs against the entrance wall. As the grip around her firearm tightened, she prepared herself for an unwanted battle. She was not one to steer away from violence. If anything, she sought it out.

"Dave? Tony?" a man called out before awaiting a response. "They said over here?"

"Yeah." another voice confirmed.

"I'm telling you, man, I heard shots." Alex repressed a curse at the sound of multiple men, no doubt armed to the teeth. As the men proceeded to ponder where their companions were, uneasiness pierced Alex's soul as the men thumped their fists against the bar's entrance.

Even when the men wandered away, Alex didn't want to move a muscle, knowing that the second the men realized their friends were dead, they would sign her death sentence. Irritated, Rick muttered, "Why won't they leave?"

"Would you?" Hershel retorted quietly.

"I'm just surprised anyone cares about those dumbasses," Alex commented, gesturing toward the lying corpses.

"We can't sit here any longer." Glenn reasoned.

Rick suggested, "Let's head out the back and run to the car." Considering it was their only plan, the others agreed, cringing as the floorboards beneath their feet creaked. Before they could make it to the back door, gunfire could be heard close by. The four retreated to their original position, backs against the wall.

"What happened?" Alex heard one man ask.

"Roamers. Nailed 'em." Pride evidently swelled in his tone.

"They disappeared but their car's still there."

"I cleared those buildings. You guys get this one?" At that order, Alex felt her anxiety peak.

"No." all the men responded.

Scoffing, another stated, "We're looking for Dave and Tony and no one checks the damn bar?" Alex quickly set into action and sat in front of the door, preventing the people from coming in. She let out a shaky breath, her eyes set on Glenn as the men realized someone was indeed inside the bar.

"Yo, is someone in there?" the guy asked. Alex didn't dare respond, hoping they wouldn't try ramming the door open. "We don't want no trouble. We're just looking for our friends."