Chapter Two

Chapter Two

The news sunk in with the all the force of a sucker punch to the gut. Isis gaped, trying to find words. All of it was too much to take in at one time. Questions spun in her mind, like who had taped them and released the video to the public? Why hadn't she noticed? Why was she suddenly engaged to a prince who had been Phoenix's intended?

"I cannot marry him!" she protested vehemently.

"You do not have a choice, Ice", Levi replied coolly.

"And you should be pleased to be marrying a prince – you have a chance of being a queen one day, instead of just my spare", Phoenix said haughtily. "You deserve much less, and you know it."

"Leave, Phoenix", Ardyn commanded, not wanting to deal with his youngest daughter's snide remarks in the face of what he considered a family crisis.

"Why Father?" Phoenix asked, surprised and a bit hurt.

"You are in the way. Go about as normal, and say nothing of this to anyone."

"Not even-"

"Not. A. Word. To anyone." Phoenix left the room with an indignant huff, shutting the door behind her with a sharp click. Upon her exit, the king turned his attention to Rhine.

"Have they completed removing everything, Miss Theonis?" he asked.

"They are still doing a sweep of every avenue, Your Majesty", she answered. She had taken the tablet back from Isis's lap, working on destroying the copy they had been watching.

"And the contract?"

"It has already been signed by both the King and Crown Prince and faxed back. The preparations for the press conference are underway, and the Crown Prince and his entourage are expected within the palace walls in less than fifteen minutes."

"Very good. You may leave and begin to oversee the preparations. Be ready within an hour to prep my children and my future son-in-law."

"Yes, Your Majesty." Rhine stood up, sketching a quick curtsy, before leaving the room.

"Levi", King Ardyn continued, "you will accompany me to my video conference call with Xavis DeRozan."

"Synlasia's king has agreed to one so quickly?" Levi asked, standing up.

"He is as concerned with resolving this situation as quickly as possible as I am." Ardyn also came to stand before looking down at Isis, who still sat with an expression of shock upon her face.

"Your maid has been instructed to pack her things before coming to assist you in packing yours. Pack only the necessities. You are leaving tomorrow night for Synlasia, where you will have a wedding ceremony in a few weeks. Tonight, however, you and Prince Leo will be signing the marriage papers here, in my office, so as to make your marriage legal and binding in both countries.

"I will expect you to be among the party that greets the Prince in ten minutes upon his arrival to this palace. After he is settled in the rooms prepared for him, you will both meet up with Miss Theonis and be prepared for the press conference. That is all."

Leo DeRozan had known he would have to get married at some point in life; had even been resigned to having that frilly Kalenius chit be his future queen. As his father reminded him often, he didn't have to like the girl – just marry her. He'd eventually come to agree with that way of thinking. After all, as a prince – and a rich one, at that – he could have any woman he wished, and sure as hell had no plans to stick to just one.