Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

"Klein, what are you doing??" Aysel demanded as Klein turned the wheel of the car they were in sharply to the left, turning onto another strip of desolate highway.

Against Aysel's advice, Isis had persuaded Klein to allow them the use of his family plane, as it was still in the airport and could be made readily available for use quickly. She had ditched her bodyguards in impatience when they'd suggested she wait for the royal jet to be readied and leave in the morning. Instead, she and a reluctant Aysel had gotten in Klein's car and sped off to the private airport where they'd promptly boarded the aircraft and took off. They had landed at a private airport not too far from the border of Nyresia, Cyanis two hours earlier. Klein had requested a car, and they'd driven off.

Isis had been so absorbed in her concern for her family – both the old and the new – that she hadn't noticed anything was off until Aysel, who sat in the front passenger seat, had shouted that demand. Looking around, she realized that she did not recognize the highway they were on, but it was definitely not the one she'd instructed him to follow to get to the gates of the capital city.

"What is going on, Sir Klein?" Isis demanded. Klein glanced at her through the rearview mirror and smiled wryly. He pushed a button that locked all doors of the sedan.

"I've decided to kidnap you and your unborn kid, Princess. Sorry about this", he replied seriously. Isis just gaped at him. Aysel, however, could sense that Klein, in the weird mood he was in, was very serious about his declaration.

"Klein, please don't do anything stupid", she urged. She was afraid that he would do something careless or rash, as he was the one driving. "We're on your side, Klein. Tell us what's wrong and we'll try to help you." Klein gave her a sardonic look as the car accelerated a bit.

"Really, Aysel?" he said with a bitter laugh. "You actually think spouting nonsense at me like that will work?" The car gained even more speed as Klein overtook the slow moving van that was in front of them. "You, who was just wrapped around Jonah a few hours ago after leading me on for a month – on my side?"

"Is that what this is all about?" Aysel asked incredulously.

"You think you're that special to me, Miss Castallano?" he asked softly as he took a curve in the road hard.

"Klein, please", Isis pleaded. "Let us go, or at least be careful." She reached out to touch him lightly and he flinched away from her.

"Don't worry, I won't kill any of you", Klein replied. "No matter how much I'd like to."

"You'll kill us all if you keep driving like this", Aysel admonished him.

"Tell me, Aysel, was kissing him as good as kissing me?" he asked her almost-nonchalantly.

"That's not the issue here, Klein. You have to slow down!"

"I was gone for two weeks, Aysel. Two weeks! You move fast, so why shouldn't I?" The car's speed increased a little more. Isis looked from one to the other, highly worried. Her cellphone didn't have service this far away from the city, and she doubted it would have worked anyway, as it had been optimized to work in Synlasia - leagues away. Klein was focusing the brunt of his anger onto her best friend, and the need to protect her was strong.

"Klein, if that's what you're upset about, don't take it out on Aysel, please", she begged. "It was my fault. I brought her and Jonah together."

"Stop talking, Isis", Aysel hissed as Klein's gaze snapped to find Isis in the rearview mirror, a wildness appearing in their depths. Isis ignored her, locking eyes with Klein through the mirror and hoping he would understand.