Chapter Thirteen

Hello hello~

It's me again! :D

Here's the next installment of The Spare.

I had these last few chapters all planned out, but alas, the characters told their own version of my plan, and I ended up with this chapter.

Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy it.

Don't forget to vote, comment, follow, share... whatever floats your boat.

Thanks for reading, as always.

SunniSkys

*sexy scenes ahead*

Chapter Thirteen

Caelum watched as Isis took another generous swallow of the strawberry lemonade he'd given her. It had amused him to see how bewildered she had become after he had told her she would be stuck with him in Johari's rooms until Johari arrived. He had offered her a drink, and, as he'd expected she would, she'd accepted. It gave her something to do other than try to have a polite conversation with him.

He was aware and glad that she did not enjoy his company – it would make things much harder to get rid of her if she did, after all. He sighed mentally. He was quite tired of being the prince that people considered fit to do the dirty work for them, really.

Not that he minded the dirty work. There was a certain appeal to it that soothed his more violent urges. The Cosima women had sensed that in him, and had latched onto him like leeches.

Shaking them off would require that he actually own up to all of his dark deeds to his father, and then work towards redemption. Getting out of their clutches would take too much effort, and not only was Caelum lazy when it came to his own personal affairs, but he was also truthfully a bit of a masochist.

Drugging the woman pregnant with his future niece or nephew in preparation to set her up for a very public scandal that would probably ruin her completely was a new low that he wasn't comfortable with.

Lady Cadrian Cosima, however, known to a select few as the boss of one of the more prominent Syndicate Families, wanted her beloved only child's dream of being queen to become reality, no matter what had to be done to accomplish it. She'd recruited him to this cause through her husband (who was barely less afraid of her than Caelum was) and, after having spent some time in Johari's company and realizing that she was a woman who could give him whatever he wanted in more ways than one, he'd agreed. Before all of this, he had been living rather aimlessly, only making half-assed attempts to be the successor to the throne because that was what people seemed to expect from him.

Making Johari queen had given him a sense of purpose he had not known he was missing until it had been handed to him on a platter. As long as she wanted to be queen, he would want to be king. That was how it was – not because he loved her (and he really didn't), but because it gave him purpose. It made him feel useful and wanted, even if only for a little while.

So he watched Isis closely, making sure she drank every drop of that aphrodisiac-laced lemonade, counting the minutes until it took full effect and Johari would come through that door.

He'd made that aphrodisiac himself – he'd been studying and experimenting with plants for several years now as a hobby. He had designed it to be perfectly harmless to Isis and so he assumed it would be harmless to her unborn child as well. To be safe, however, he'd given her a smaller dosage than he'd originally intended to. It served its purpose remarkably well, with its only side effect being a headache and fatigue, both of which faded away after a good twelve hours or so of undisturbed rest, according to his test subjects.