Chapter Nine

I'm so very sorry that this chapter is so late, my beautiful readers. 

I won't say much here, other than that the image attached to this chapter is where I found the inspiration for the phoenix crest of Synlasia.

Thank you for reading thus far, and I do hope you enjoy this installment. If you do, please vote and/or comment.

Chapter Nine

After a tour led by Aysel through all the areas of the royal estate that she had become familiar with during Isis' absence, the two women returned to Isis' room and found none other than Rashida and Brianza waiting for them there. Brianza held a garment bag draped over her arms almost reverently. Rashida approached them with pursed lips, her disapproval not quite subtle.

"Princess, we must get you ready for the welcome banquet at seven", Rashida announced. "We must hurry. The makeup artist was instructed to come here at exactly six-thirty. We must have you washed, dressed, prepped and your hair styled by then, and it is already twenty minutes after five." The women ushered them inside.

"Ms. Castallano must also prepare herself to attend the banquet", Brianza informed the two.

"Me?" Aysel blinked, surprised. "Why?"

"Because you are the Princess' attendant, of course. You must attend to her at all times. It is customary. When the Princess is ready, you will have to ready yourself quickly. We have prepared your dress as well, anticipating that you would not be aware that you had to attend this event."

"What if I don't want to go?" Aysel demanded. Brianza locked her dark brown eyes with Aysel's green ones and said, softly:

"You do not have that choice. The Princess will need you at her side."

"Prince Leo will not always be next to her", Rashida added, "and she does not have bodyguards yet. So you must go." Aysel sighed.

"I live to serve", she said, resigned to her fate.

"As do we all", Brianza murmured. Rashida clapped her hands together.

"Now that that's settled, let's get you into the bath, Princess. Aysel, go in with her and assist her. You might as well get washed at the same time", she ordered. The two young women rushed to do as they were bid.

"Maybe Rashida should trade titles with me", Isis mused out loud as they washed themselves. "She gives orders better than I ever could." Aysel laughed.

"I don't believe Prince Leo will be too keen on having his wife swapped so suddenly though."

"Proabably not."

"Definitely not." They giggled.

"Let's not waste time ladies!" Rashida called from somewhere near the bathroom door. "You've got five more minutes!"

Isis and Aysel shared a look before erupting into laughter.

Leo checked his reflection in the full length mirror before him. He was dressed in formal wear, with a white sash around his body that had the orange phoenix symbol of his country embroidered flawlessly onto it. His curly hair had been smoothed back and tied loosely at the base of his neck. He wore his wedding ring on his left hand and his signet ring that was emblazoned with the same phoenix symbol on his right. He turned to his valet.

"Not bad, Ari. Thank you", he said, satisfied with his appearance. Ari beamed and bowed.

"You look marvelous, my prince", he said.