Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Xavis moved from the group of ministers he had been conversing with and strolled off with no true destination, his two bodyguards dogging his every step. He was dutifully making his way around the room, ensuring he greeted almost every person he came into contact with along the way before he sent them all home and could finally sink into his bed and go to sleep.

The constant flattery and nonsense spouting from the lips of his subjects often annoyed him – which is why he hated hosting events, and tried to do so only when necessary. He was well aware that not most people around him understood his tendency to eschew some of the norms expected of a king, but no one dared question him or comment upon his behavior, lest they offend him. He snorted.

As if these idiots' opinion could offend me so easily, he thought, gazing impassively at a few of the idiots in question. The empty flattery and endless kissing of his ass had gotten boring from the day he'd been mature enough to understand them for what they were, and too much of it was liable to piss him off.

The only person alive who dared to speak up occasionally – with the exception of his sons, of course – was Jonah. And, speaking of Jonah, where was he anyway?

Xavis turned to one of his bodyguards. He frowned. What was this one's name again?

"Your Majesty?" the man asked, noticing Xavis frowning at him.

"What's your name?" Xavis demanded brusquely.

"Roman, Your Majesty."

"Well, Roman, where is your boss?"

"My boss?" Roman repeated, seemingly confused. Xavis belatedly realized that since it was his money that paid the bodyguards, he was technically their boss.

"Where's Jonah?" he asked impatiently.

"He is over there, Your Majesty, standing guard by a side door." Roman indicated the door in question with a nod of his bald head. Xavis turned and followed the man's gaze.

Jonah stood in the shadows beside the door with his feet slightly apart and his hands behind his back. His eyes, which Xavis had become accustomed to seeing move continually as he monitored his surroundings, were riveted on something on the side of the room where the royal table was situated, an odd look on his face. Xavis turned to look in the same direction.

Standing behind the table was the Kalenius chit (When had she returned, anyway?) talking to her attendant – a busty, vibrant thing that he'd spotted wandering the palace every now and then. He glanced back at Jonah, wondering why the two had snared so much of his attention.

Of course, the most obvious reason was that they were attractive young women of foreign origins, but, knowing the kind of man Jonah was, Xavis doubted that was it. He'd certainly never let young, attractive foreign girls distract him from his job before.

Perhaps he was interested in one of them? Xavis mused, looking back at the girls. Jonah had met the Kalenius girl – he supposed he should start thinking of her as the DeRozan girl now, since she was already legally bound to Leo – before, and had not shown much interest in her besides a mild curiosity, so it must be the attendant.

That, Xavis thought with a sudden grin, was perfect.

Isis had just finished briefly discussing what had just happened with Johari and how uneasy she felt about the encounter, when Johari herself appeared at her side, disrupting the conversation. She disregarded Aysel completely as she linked arms with Isis and steered her away from the other girl. Isis shot an apologetic look back at her closest friend as she was led away. Aysel shrugged, then nodded once sharply. Isis smiled.