Chapter Four

Chapter Four

The early morning sunlight shone through the windows of the palace, illuminating in intervals the hallway Levi was striding through. He was on his way to see his mother in her rooms, as she had requested his presence the day before.

He came to a stop at the tall ornate double doors that led into his mother's suite and rang the doorbell. A moment later, the doors were thrown open widely in welcome. Behati, barefoot and clad in a mint green nightgown and matching robe, grinned hugely at her oldest. Her slender, pale arms enveloped him in a warm hug before she pulled him inside and shut the doors behind them.

"Good morning, Levi", she said happily. "You're early." Behati led him to the white sectional that dominated her living room area. She dropped down in the middle of it and patted the spot next to her, indicating he do the same. He did so gingerly.

"You told me to come in the morning, so here I am", he replied simply. His sharp gazed looked for any sign that her happy mood was one borne from mania. "Did you take your medications today, Mother?"

"I did", she said, a frown briefly creasing her face. Their blue gazes locked and held. Levi broke eye contact first, looking away and nodding. He relaxed a bit.

"What is it that you wanted to speak of, Mother?" he asked.

"How's Phoenix?" she asked him. He frowned.

"She's the same as always."

"That's too bad", Behati murmured. "Tell her to visit me some time."

"She probably won't, even if I did", Levi replied bluntly.

"I know. That's why I look for her sometimes on my own. She's more like your father than you are." Behati sighed, her mood pensive. She stood up and looked down at him. "Would you like something to drink? I've got tea, freshly brewed and still hot."

"Just water, please", he answered. She nodded, going to the black sidebar pushed against a wall. An electric kettle stood on it next to a glass pitcher filled with water and ice, beside them several clean glasses. She poured him a glass of water and fixed a cup of tea for her, bringing both cups back. Handing him the water and resting her teacup on the low coffee table, she once again took a seat beside him, angling herself to face him. She reached out and picked up her cup, taking several sips of the warm liquid.

"What are your thoughts on her leaving?" she asked suddenly, watching him closely. Levi had never been good at expressing how he felt. From a young age, he'd been made aware of the burden he carried as heir to a kingdom and only son of a ruthless king. He had grown up too quickly, in her opinion; had never really had a chance to be a child. She had done what she could to balance the strictness of those around him by providing warmth and fun.

When she'd seen him fully furious a several years ago, however, Behati had begun to understand why he maintained such rigid control at all times; why he was uncomfortable expressing himself. He had been raised to believe that emotion was weakness, and weakness was not welcome in the Kalenius heir. He had built walls around his heart out of necessity.

But she knew those walls had cracks.

"Who? Isis?" he asked. She merely nodded once. He shrugged, resting his glass on the coffee table. "Phoenix seems unsure of whom to direct her usual snide remarks, now that Isis is not around, and Father is pleased that alliance between Cyanis and Synlasia can now move forward smoothly."

"And you?" Behati prodded gently.

"I..." He paused, seeming to gather his thoughts. His calm mask wavered a bit, showing a glimpse of the worry he was feeling, before it was back in place again. "I hope she knows that she will be scrutinized by everyone there, and does her part in repairing the damage to her reputation."