Bump In The Road

I looked down at my uniform as we pulled up to TROUBLE. Jace absolutely refused to let me go home first to change. In all fairness I probably would have closed the door in his face and went to bed. I was shocked to see that there wasn't a line outside. Then I remembered it was 3 a.m. on a Wednesday night.

I sighed as Jace put the car in park, "Do I really have to do this? Can't you just take me home?"

I honestly didn't want to face what I assume is a pissed off Brandon. I got a chance to look at my phone on the ride over and it had over a dozen texts from Corey. All of them apologizing in some way, shape, or form. But just one from Brandon...

BRANDON: We're talking about this later.

Is it possible to get chills from a few simple words via text?

Jace pulled open my door from the outside. I was so far into my own head I hadn't even noticed he had gotten out of the vehicle.

"Boss is up in his office," he says, "he's waiting on you."

I sighed knowing I wasn't getting out of this and snatched my purse up off the seat then made my way into the club. It was eerie being here after hours. The house lights were on, and no music vibrated the walls. It was interesting to learn that they were a beautiful purple and not black like I had always assumed.

The clean-up crew shot me a few confused looks, but none bothered to ask what I was doing there. Does Brandon have women coming here often after closing? Is it something they've become accustomed to? I walked up the stairs and looked around.

"Excuse me," I called out to a worker cleaning the bar. "I'm looking for Brandon."

"Down the right hallway. Last door on the left," he replied without even looking up.

"Thanks," I mumbled as I followed his directions.

I figured since Jace said he was expecting me, knocking would be useless. So, I swung the door open and stepped inside. Brandon was leaning on his desk. His ankles were crossed, and he had one hand in his pocket. The other held a glass with some amber liquid in it next to him. The top few buttons on his dress shirt were undone and lord did he look yummy.

"Leave us," he said as his eyes met mine.

I thought he was talking to me. However, two burly men stood up from the chairs I hadn't even noticed. Without a word Brandon nodded at one of the chairs in front of him. I internally sighed. I didn't understand what he was upset about. He's the one who broke his promise.

Brandon's eyes raked over me as I took a seat. He took a drink from his glass then placed it down just behind him on the desk. His calm demeaner was a bit frightening considering the text I got didn't appear calm at all.

"You wanna tell me what happened tonight?" he asked as he slid his other hand into his empty pocket.

"I don't know, why don't you tell me," I questioned.

"Really?" He deadpanned, "that's how you want this to play out? Last time I checked we weren't pubescent teens."

I crossed my arms over my chest and glared at him, "I'm not the one breaking promises."

"And what promise would that be?" He asked pulling his hands from his pockets and mimicked my arms.

"You sent Corey to spy on me at work," I snapped flailing my hands up in frustration. "After you promised me, you wouldn't."

"No, I didn't," he said calmly.

"Bull shit!" I scoffed, "he was there!"

"Your right," he replied as he pushed off the desk. Brandon placed his hands on the arm rests of the chair I was occupying and leaned forward. I could see the fire in his eyes, but his words came out in a soothing manor. "Corey was at DUKE'S tonight."

I opened my mouth, but he cut me off, "Nope. You're going to listen to what I have to say. Because I'm starting to think you're just scared of our relationship taking the next step and are looking for an excuse to get out of it."

No, I wasn't.

Okay, maybe a little bit.

The past few weeks have been great. But I'm terrified he's going to wake up and realize I'm just a lowly waitress. I don't fit into his world. I might have done some googling the other night and discovered his family has ties to a lot of big people. The Mayor, the Governor, the Police Commissioner all seen rubbing elbows with his parents at charity events. Hell, if he doesn't see my worthlessness, they will for sure.

"Corey was at your job tonight," he continued. "However, it was not on my order. The only thing I said to him was pick up dinner on your way here. Preferably wings. That's it."

"Then out of nowhere," he growled, "I get a text message from my girlfriend that sounded a hell of a lot like a break-up."

I shrank back into the seat and tried to look away from him, but he didn't let me. His hand shot up and grabbed my jaw to turn it back towards him. It wasn't bruising or painful. Hell, it actually was doing the opposite. The deepening of his voice and aggressive like touch made me clench my thighs together. Never had a man turned me on by just the sound of his voice.

"If I recall, I told you that I would never step foot inside DUKE'S again. Not my me... friends."

I cocked an eyebrow at him wondering what he was going to say.

"Talk to me, beautiful," he ended with a whisper and his hand released my jaw. His fingers traced down my neck and brushed across my cleavage.

With an aggravated sigh I pushed him back and stood up to pace across the floor. I felt his eyes following me with each step, "You don't get it."

"Make me understand," he commands.

I stopped and whirled around to look at him. He was once again leaning against his desk, hands stuffed into his pockets. I went back to pacing because I knew if I was looking at him, I wouldn't be able to get this out, "You had a happy childhood. Parents who loved you, you're a respectable member of society. You've dated gorgeous models. Your employee's were even confused as to why someone like me was walking up in here after hours. I'm just the little orphan Annie to your daddy Warbucks."

"I'm Daddy alright," he mumbled.

I stopped and looked at him, "what?"

"Nothing," he sighed, "I'll tell you about it later."

"We just don't make sense on paper, Brandon."

Instead of replying, he pushed off his desk and stalked towards me. I stupidly backed away knowing damn well I would run into a wall. Brandon didn't say a word just swooped down and pressed his lips against mine. I gasped and half-heartedly tried to push him away. It lasted all of two seconds before my hands were sliding up his chest and around his neck. He gripped my hips and picked me up, so my legs were wrapped around his waist.

His hips pressed into mine and I felt his erection press into me and I suddenly wished we both had less clothes on. A squeak like moan escaped my lips and I felt him smirk. Brandon's soft lips brushed across my check and down to my ear. He pressed his hips into mine again and whispered, "I guess it's a good thing we aren't writing a book report then."

I whimpered, "But..."

Brandon carefully dropped my legs and took a step back, "Annalise I want to be with you. YOU. I don't give a damn what anyone else says or thinks. So what about the semantics. Trust me, my childhood wasn't as picture perfect as it appeared to be. The only thing those models had was air in their heads and more plastic than barbie. You have a brain and you're sexy as hell."

I glanced down at my fidgeting hands, but he gently tipped my chin back up to look at him. How in the world could he think I was sexier then a a damn Victoria Secret Angel? 

"You need to come to me when you have insecurities," he said gently, "we're in this together. You're not alone in this relationship, baby."

"Okay," I said with a nod and a small smile. I feel like I mean that honestly. Though there are somethings I'm keeping to myself like the fact that I swear this man is lying through his teeth about finding me sexier than a damn model. I know I'm fixating on it but what woman wouldn't. 

"Now," He began, his voice getting deep once more, "I think you owe me an apology for trying to break up with me."