Chapter 8

Kindly click on the tiny star at the bottom

*****
(Unedited)

Just when you feel the world suffocating you, Your struggles becoming massive, Your efforts seem never enough, Your dreams turning into ashes, When surviving itself becomes a big task. All we need is a relief.A means of Escape. A dive from the painful reality. A state of oblivion. That's when everyone turns to Art. Some find peace in music,while some find their solace in writings, while some find serenity in cooking. At the end of the day, it is art that keep humans sane.And Ashwin is no exception.

The aroma of sauted onions, capsicum filling the air, dressed in a sleeveless Black vest and a grey tracks; A pale green apron tied behind; Ashwin was seen marinating the  small sized  boneless chicken. Flaunting his biceps. A sight that could make any girl's mouth dry and drool over the Greek God infront. However, Ashwin was too distracted. Too tired of running behind his dreams, aspirations and desires. He clogged all his depressing thoughts and dived into a world where he can hear his insights and sub conscious take over and guide him. That's why he is busy cooking Dragon chicken for Himself. Himself.

The pleasing music of vegetable chopping,aroma of Chinese flavours and the tossing of the ingredients looked poetic and eye pleasing. They often say, " When nothing goes right, Go right back to sleep" but to Ashwin it was impossible, For the chronic overthinker he is, Sleep seems miles away considering the pressure he is in.

Cooking for Ashwin, Which initially started as a  means of survival, turned into hobby and now it is his way of escape from the awful reality. Cooking saved him in the worst stages of life, gifted him numerous opportunities in cine field and introduced him as a Hero. Ahh, It was even kind enough to gift him a life partner and a second family.

And Now, Cooking isn't just a need. It is an Art, Which requires focus, accuracy and precision. Cooking can discipline a man and teach various life lessons. And now according to Ashwin," When nothing goes Right, step into kitchen right away". while cooking, he enters into a world. His own world . Where he can be both the hero and the devil. A hero who is unafraid of being put down and A devil who can express his purely devilish façade without an ounce of being conscious about people's judgement.
He experiences a joy. A joy that can never be put into words.

As He left the chicken to cook, He entered his tidy study, picked out the stack of papers neatly arranged on his wooden desk. He had a rough morning, reading scripts of his current project , listening to the plot of his next project  that he is yet to sign with a debut director and worrying about the challenges and miseries he had gained due to his own choices.

Being immersed in the script, Ashwin left his poor dragon chicken unattended. As if on cue, Ashwin sprinted to the kitchen and quickly turned off the stove. Panicking, He opened the lid and sighed in relief. He can manage with the thick broth.

Ashwin has spent years staying alone and oddly, he is comfortable with the solitude, the peace it offers and finds absolute bliss in having his meal alone with his thoughts.

Just as he was about relish his second roti with the sizzling dragon chicken, He heard his doorbell ring. Sighing, He stood up to greet his intruder.

The grim, gloomy and annoyed Ashwin broke into a grin. A wide smile adorning his face showcasing his dimples.

"Maaa..." Ashwin greeted excitedly, pulling the old lady into his living room.

"Kutty Maa..Epdi da iruka?" Shakeela questioned her son. However the sight of him, gave her the reply of her above question.

"Nalla iruken maa.. Neenga epdi irukeenga?Mila Akka epdi irukanga? Sapteengala Maa?" Ashwin bombarded his mother with questions.