Mercenaries and the Mysterious Rose

All is calm in the city scene under the night sky as the streets are filled with nothing but silence. While normal citizens would venture through the streets and wander in and out of the buildings, two individuals would instead spend their time perched atop one of the highest building rooftops to avoid being seen by the general public. Their faces were obscured by the lack of lighting within the area, using the night sky and the shadows to their advantage. One of the mercenaries, a young man of average height wearing a military-grade stealth uniform with a mesh mask covering the bottom half of his face and a pair of black gold-lined mechanical bracelets worn on his wrists. The other young man of above average height wearing a black, flowing trench coat, withholding a longsword and a shotgun hanging from a satchel strapped onto his shoulder. The taller hooded figure is seen looming over the city while the masked individual is seen leisurely lying on the roof on his side, eating a burger. He takes a moment to swallow his food before eventually turning to his partner with a tinge of disgust.

Masked Merc: Oi, dude, are you still up there brooding?

Coated Merc: (Not moving from his position) I'm not brooding. There's bound to be a robbery here. Look.

The looming associate then points below at the shop across from them labeled "From Dust Till Dawn," known for selling several variations of Dust in the form of crystals, powder, ammunition, and more. The masked cohort stands up and eyes the establishment with varied interest and eats the last of his burger, crumpling up the wrapper and stashing it in his pocket until he finds whichever receptacle bin is near him.

Masked Merc: (With his mouth slightly full) Oh... I see. (Swallows his food, then raises an eyebrow) Classic store robbery scene. And I suppose we're gonna catch the bastards in the act, right?

Coated Merc: (Nods) Correct. The Delta Faction said that there've been countless news stories about Dust shops being robbed, raided, and all the above. However, the people behind these robberies never stole money. Only Dust.

Masked Merc: Well, yeah. I watch the news, y'know. Plus, I've never known Delta, of all people, to give us false information. But why do the people behind this need all this Dust for? Maybe a "take over the world" sorta thing?

Coated Merc: Most likely. Dust is very powerful, and under the wrong hands, things could get cataclysmic.

Masked Merc: (Scoffs) You and your big words.

Coated Merc: (Smirks) Hmph. Jealous?

Masked Merc: Either way, if we catch this loser, we're gonna be set for life! Think of the cash coming our way. (Rubs his hands together in satisfaction) Hehe boy...

The brooding mercenary shakes his head in annoyance, then looks down at the shop alongside his cohort due to hearing the various sounds of screaming civilians running away in a panic as several men in suits, most notably a man in a white suit known as the infamous Roman Torchwick, walk right into the store.

Coated Merc: Looks like we got action.

Masked Merc: (Nods) Perfect timing.

Before the two freelancers can step in to intervene, Roman and his henchmen enter the shop, unaware of a young girl wearing a hooded red cloak in the corner of the shop, reading a weapons magazine while listening to music through her headphones. The suited cronies look around and marvel at the Dust crystals in the display, all while the head honcho, Roman, approaches the elderly shopkeeper.

Roman: (Flicking his cigar) Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a Dust shop open this late?

One of the henchmen points his gun at the shopkeeper.

Shopkeeper: (Raising his hands) P-please! Just take my Lien and leave!

Roman: Shhh, shhh, shhh, shhh, calm down; we're not here for your money. (Turns to his henchmen) Grab the Dust.