Trials and Tribulations of a Leader's Perspective

As the morning sun barely rises over Beacon Academy, Jay, and Mateo are seen awake and early before their classes start. Their dorm room was decorated with posters of famous Huntsmen worldwide and Mateo's vast collection of swords, knives, and other sharp objects. On a mantle, Jay's small collection of small bonsai trees and paintings of several locations in Remnant added some color to the room and a less brutal edge that Mateo tends to provide. Jay was seen sitting silently on his bed as he pondered deeply. Mateo is seen getting ready for class, multitasking between brushing his teeth and putting his pants on. He noticed Jay being more silent than usual and quickly approached the bathroom to finish brushing his teeth. He then walked back into the room and sat next to Jay.

Mateo: Hey, what's up with you? You're eerily quieter than usual.

Jay: It's... nothing to worry about...

Mateo: (Deadpan) We both already know that's a lie.

Jay: It's okay.

Mateo: (Leans against the wall closest to Jay) I know how this goes. It's either you say it now or risk having to overthink whatever's going on in your head for the rest of your life until you decide to tell someone. The choice is yours. Either way, my ears are open.

Mateo's seemingly apathetic persistence was mounting, but Jay sighed, knowing that it came from a place of genuine concern.

Jay: I guess I'm feeling a little... conflicted.

Mateo: Conflicted, how?

Jay: It recently kept hitting me that I'm second in command of this team. You and Weiss both made that clear yesterday. But... the thing is, I don't know why, and I certainly don't know if I can live up to this kind of responsibility... it all feels like it's weighing down on me.

Mateo: Hmm. I understand what you mean. It's all because of Ozpin. I still don't know why he brought us to Beacon and put us on the same team as Ruby and the others. I feel like there's something wrong with all of this... (Closes his eyes)

Jay: I mean, I had a feeling that with our skills and background in Delta, we'd probably go farther than most students, but I never thought I'd have to be a leader if the actual leader's not around. The last time I led a team was in the Faction, but... (Sinks his head down) as you know, things haven't exactly worked out.

Mateo: Can't argue with that. I suppose we just need some time to figure this whole thing out. We have many questions, and we'll know why, even if it takes us centuries to get closer to the necessary answers. Until then, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Jay: How so?

Mateo: I don't know. Call it fate, I guess.

Jay: (Leering at Mateo) You and this "fate" thing. I always pictured you to be a bit more logical.

Mateo: Not every situation's solved with logic, y'know.

Suddenly, a knock is heard at the door, causing Jay and Mateo to pick their heads up. They both looked at each other, wondering who could be up as early as they were. Mateo went over to open the door, which revealed Ruby in her pajamas as she greeted the taller Golden Boy with a wave.

Mateo: Speaking of illogical... Kid, what're you doing up this early?

Ruby: (Nervously giggles) I should be asking you the same thing.

Mateo: Hmph. Well, what do you want?

Ruby: I was going to talk to Jay before class. Seeing how he's second in command, I figured we leaders would, uh... (Scratches her head as she tries to sound professional) partake in... a brief juncture.