A Cold-Hearted Show of Camaraderie

After the hectic events of Beacon Academy's initiation, the shattered moon shines over the academy in the dead of nighttime as Jay and Mateo are seen lounging in Team RWBY's dorm room. They, along with the newly formed quartet of girls, converse about the events of their initiation. Ruby and Weiss are seen sitting on the beds, along with Mateo and Blake, while Jay and Yang sit on the floor.

Ruby: Man, initiation was freakin' nuts! (Her eyes sparkling with glee) It was everything I've ever wanted in training to be a Huntress!

Yang: I'll say! (Pumps her fists in the air) And it's only gonna get better from here!

Weiss: (Crossing her arms in disapproval) I swear, you two really are siblings if you're both this unbearably upbeat.

Mateo: (Turning away from Weiss' attitude) Hmph...

Weiss hears this and turns in Mateo's direction while pointing her finger at him.

Weiss: I've heard quite enough from you!

Blake: (Raising an eyebrow at the heiress) He said nothing.

Weiss: Ugh. (Crosses her arms)

Jay: I still can't believe that crazy coordination you guys had when you took on that Nevermore. You guys sure got mad skills when you're working together.

Yang: I know! (Points a finger gun at Ruby) But it was all my sister's idea! She's a smartie, ain't she?

Weiss: She's reckless, is what she is!

Ruby: (Shrugs) It worked, didn't it? (Nudges Weiss) Besides, you made the shot. I had a good feeling that you wouldn't miss it.

Weiss: Well, of course! (Proudly holds her hand to her chest) This is me we're talking about.

Mateo and Blake scoff at Weiss, who looks in their direction with a hint of attitude on her expression.

Weiss: What's your problem?

Blake: Nothing.

Mateo: You.

Blake then nudges Mateo's side with her elbow, causing the dark ex-merc to turn to her curiously. Usually, because he's used to being corrected by Jay. However, he readjusted himself despite glaring into the distance.

Mateo: I mean, nothing.

Yang: (Pointing at Jay) Speaking of Nevermore, our teamwork rarely meant squat compared to what you and your brother did!

Jay: What? (Dismissively waves his hand) Nah.

Mateo: (Shrugs) It was nothing really...

Blake: (Turns to Mateo) What do you mean? It took four of us to take out that Nevermore, then you two show up and decimate that thing by yourselves.

Ruby: (Points at Jay) Yeah, but remember the Ursa that was twice the size of a regular one! (Gets closer to Jay, who leans back slightly) You laid out a Kung Fu butt-whooping on that thing without even trying! (Points at Mateo, who simply leans back like Jay) And you swung that sword and spun it around on your foot! (Pumps her fists repeatedly) YOU BOTH ARE SO AWESOME!

Jay scratches the back of his head with a short laugh while Mateo simply huffs while turning away with his eyes closed.

Jay: It was nothing, really.

Mateo: Seriously.

Yang: (Crossing her arms) Why do you both keep saying that?

Weiss: (Holds up a finger) A true warrior needs to be confident in their skills.

Jay: (Shrugs) Eh. We're just not used to being complimented.

Yang: (Holding her hands to her cheeks) Aww! That's so cute! Well, don't you worry! (Gives Jay and Mateo a dynamic thumbs-up) I'll give you all the compliments you need!