Chapter 20: I Said I'd Find You

The sound of howling wind hit my eardrum as I plummeted further and further down.

Stones and branches protruding from the cliff walls scratched my skin mercilessly.

'Am I going to die like this?'

Even in the midst of an endless fall, a silly laugh slipped out of my lungs.

Ever since I recalled my past life, I had been struggling to live after realizing that I was fated to die a premature death in the future. I raised independent funds, invested, and worked really hard.

It was all to no avail. In the end, I was going to die in vain like this.

Even while I was immersed in such useless thoughts, death raced toward me moment by moment.

Even the steepest of cliffs had a bottom.

I was getting closer to the forest floor; the rough ground covered with rocks and boulders, large and small, was about to devour me.

I was just thinking that I was really going to die now, and it looked like it would hurt.

'...........!'

Was it because this was the moment before my death? Strangely, the speed of the fall seemed to have slowed significantly.

Tak–

Of course, I thought I would fall head first onto the ground, but someone's strong arm held me up.

Soon a familiar scent brushed the tip of my nose.

While my consciousness was fading, I strained through my blurring vision to see the face of the person holding.

It was a face I had seen before.

"Y....ou......."

I couldn't even finish my thought as I blacked out.

"Take a rest."

After I barely caught those soft words, a deep darkness descended.

***

The attack on Carlot and Elodie soon reached Duke Perdia's ears.

With it, came the news that Elodie fell down a cliff while confronting an assassin.

The Duke's expression hardened coldly when he heard Carlot's report, even though his son had returned as a wreck.

There was a painful silence.

Carlot fell to his knees.

"It's my negligence. I didn't escort properly. Please give me a punishment."

Instead of reprimanding Carlot, Duke Perdia asked calmly.

"Where is the location?"

"It's a cliff on the way to the South Magic Tower, outside the capital."

"Lead the way, Carlot. Take care of your wounds as you go."

"Yes."

Carlot rose from his seat and clenched his fist.

He was bleeding profusely, and some parts of the body stiffened with paralysis, as if he had been poisoned, but he did not dare to speak out about his physical condition.

It wasn't the time to say such a weak thing.

Carlot couldn't stop thinking as he climbed onto his horse and headed towards the attack site.

He was constantly reminded.

The feeble and half-hearted strength with which she had reached out to him.