Chapter 23: Elodie's Hand Skirmish

It was just then, when I was distracted by Carlot's direct bombarding.

Knock.

After hearing a knock, I looked up and saw Jansi leaning against the door.

"Are you done talking?" He asked nonchalantly.

"No, just a little more–"

"We are done! You can come in." I quickly cut off Carlot's words before he could say anything.

Carlot was noticeably sullen, but I pretended not to see it and gestured to Jansi.

Jansi, who glanced at Carlot kneeling on the floor, sat down on the edge of the bed, and asked, "More than that, Lili."

"Mhh?"

"The mercenary king, Ian. Did you know him before?"

His sudden question threw me into confusion.

I told Jansi that Raeyan saved me by accident/coincidence, but asking this question.....

'Jansi had one of his people following me. At least during my first outing.'

It was either that he didn't intend to hide it or that he thought I was stupid enough to not even notice it.

Knowing that it was useless to point that out to Jansi, I just answered the question.

"Yes, I've encountered him on the street before. I think he mistook me for someone else back then."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"I see."

Jansi's smile became deeper as if he was still suspicious, but he didn't question me any further.

'I can't believe that Raeyan was the mercenary king, Ian.'

I'd heard rumors about him.

I couldn't help but to know.

He was one of the two most famous commoners.

A commoner from the slums.

He was a man who jumped into the mercenary business at a young age with all his blood and fervor, until he eventually overpowered all mercenaries with his own power and reigned over them.

Was it said that he was a legend among mercenaries?

He was such a famous person but there was a reason why I didn't recognize him.

Since Martha only tried to get information about the nobles, there is no way that Raeyan, a commoner, would show up on that list.

'But in the original there was no such thing as a mercenary king.'

Raeyan's existence was still questionable to me.

After taking me to the mansion, I remembered Raeyan's last words before leaving.

"I will visit again soon."

This time it was also an ambiguous visit notification that did not give the exact date.

But now that I knew the other person's identity, I didn't have to wait.

'Should I go and find him first?'

As soon as I thought about it, Jansi stared at me.

"You'd better stay away from him, Lili." Jansi warned, with a rare smileless face.

"Why?"

A warning from Jansi.

Since he was number one in Perdia when it came to information, of course he will have a lot of information about Raeyan; he might know something.