Motive

Hayley asked me out, and I said yes, it was something to do and after 2 weeks of talking about vampires with Dante this seemed a lighter environment. We met at a different bar, with upbeat music, and later at night. We didn't talk much at the beginning, she was waiting for me with a beer in hand, and just minutes after we started drinking and saying hi she dragged me to the dance floor.

We danced and drank till late at night, I'll grant it was a lot of fun and I needed to get my mind clearer, but the place was getting empty so she signaled me to get out and have a cigarette. "You're a really good dancer," said Hayley while lighting up hers. "You too," I said now lighting mine. I wasn't a smoker but I liked socializing with it. "A tough couple of weeks hasn't it?" said Hayley. "Indeed" I agreed. "Dante can be a pain in the ass, but he means well," said Hayley while borrowing her lighter from someone who asked for it a minute ago.

"Yeah, it's been fun though, except for the part where I had to dig into my ex's physiological patterns" I added without much thinking. "Yeah I bet it's hard, you did say she did some horrible things to you, that must be hard to remember" I smiled "Yeah no, those I'm not ready to talk about yet" I felt a bit embarrassed as I completely omit the horrible things from the description I gave to Dante. "Did she try to kill you first? that's a good motive to strike back" Said Hayley. "No, she did not, she wanted me to be like her, I went through a whole process to become a vampire myself, it was supposed to happen today actually" Hayley opened her mouth in surprise, "Like, today, today?" I nodded.

"I've never heard of a transformation process, like I know it happens but is so rare, is it hard?" asked Hayley. "No, is not physically hard, is more of a psychological process and you have to watch and participate in ritualistic events that can be hard to witness." I was drunk and Hayley seemed like a person I could trust, "I had to drink and bathe in blood, had to watch a human sacrifice, and pick and select my future meals because the families are very exclusive and you have to enter a whole list to get a family meal" Hayley looked at me with wide eyes, I just kept talking "The whole thing includes a lot of protocol, you have to swear in front of the elders to protect and make the vampiric race proud of you, is a whole thing"

"So you did all of that and that made you want to kill her?" said Hayley, "I mean, I never thought of myself as a human, so the whole thing to me was just normal, you know? I was raised to become a vampire one day, my family revolves around the top of the pyramid, so it was bound to happen to one of us someday, but that's not why I want to kill her." Hayley looked at me puzzled I was feeling happy and tipsy. "I think, is the fact that she never truly saw me as her equal, even becoming a vampire wasn't enough, I knew it wasn't, she'd never see me like herself, so I just want to kill her and show her I also am capable of horrible things."