- CHAPTER 4: Alfred Pennyworth

In silence, Dream watches as Fundy throws himself onto the couch right next to you, as you immediately sit up right to give the fox some space as well. It's not hard for Dream to notice the way his tail starts wagging, or his eyes light up as soon as they fall on you. This silly crush of his has been going on for a pretty long time now too, and neither of his parents have taken notice. Sure, he could tell them. Or at least, he could mention his observations to Wilbur, but he honestly sees no reason to. Fundy already isn't that close with his parents, so the android hardly believes that it would do any good. Whether it's some alternate version of the Oedipus complex, or just a genuine attraction towards you, it's rather innocent, and seems to be sincere happiness, despite the small age gap.

The young adult is telling you what happened with little excitement about the event itself, but he's still glad to make conversation. "So, basically, Schlatt got what he wanted, and we're still not allowed to have any insight on how he does what he's meant to do." Today, the leaders of the City came together at the DeMeter building, to talk about the way everything was handled. Despite not being a leader himself, Wilbur still played a huge part in the way the City was led, and he is one of the few people who has a clear overview in his mind of the way the politics here worked, which was also why he usually arranged the meetings. Whenever such a meeting was arranged, however, Sally and Fundy also had to come, so that Wilbur's duties would still be fulfilled.

The fact that the politics is extremely complicated, being a mix of many different forms of it, can easily be proven by your confusion as to why it's all so hard. Although, knowing you, Dream is pretty certain you continuously mix them up. Every time, whenever it's about where the three of them go, you seem to have forgotten this, after all. Sure, you know the basics, but despite having explained everything with all the details once, you have not remembered any of those.

"Well, maybe it's for the better," he overhears you tell Fundy. "I mean, imagine a world without secrets."

"I don't think that would be that bad," he tries to argue, and Dream is unsure what he's trying to achieve by making that statement. "I mean, we would all be able to trust one another, right?"

"I don't think I agree," you counter, shifting on your seat as you put the blankets even further over yourself. "No secrets would also lead to unnecessary hostilities that wouldn't be there otherwise, I believe. And I also think that sometimes, it's better not to know something. So, you know, secrets aren't that bad. As long as they're not harmful and stuff."

Listening to your conversations with Fundy, has always been a rather fascinating experience to Dream. While Sally and Wilbur are having another conversation in the kitchen, which is right next to the living room, just with a wall between it and a door, Dream has always kept his ear on the words of you and Fundy. Whatever the subject of the conversation is, it's always led to some rather interesting interactions, with you either disagreeing or playing Devil's advocate. He's always considered it to be highly interesting.

This time, however, he leaves the two of you be, instead entering the kitchen and looking at the hostile conversation between Wilbur and Sally. He has no clue what they're arguing about, as he finds his mind trailing off, away from the matter at hand, he waits for Wilbur to acknowledge his presence and be willing to listen to him. However, this only happens once Sally storms out, leaving through the second door in the kitchen that leads to the doors upstairs. Wilbur groans, his hands running through his hair with frustration. The door to the living room is already closed, but he closes the other too, so Dream and he have some privacy.

"What is it, Dream?" he asks, sounding exhausted. Dealing with Schlatt must've been more eventful today than usual. Wilbur leans against the counter, rubbing his eyes. "What did they do this time?"