- CHAPTER 10: Blackbeard

Blockbeard held his eyes on the last pirate to officially die, now being consumed by the waves beneath the ship after he got a well-deserved funeral. He and the Captain were the last ones left; the only people on board to not have been bothered by scurvy just yet. However, with all the remaining staff gone, Blockbeard already knew that they would not survive for long enough to get back to their home, unless another ship would come and save them. But that was rather unlikely. The reason was simple: either they'd be met with other pirates, who'd undoubtedly be out for their great treasure, or the enemy would get them and take them back to their nation, for the Captain and Blockbeard to be executed.

However, while Blockbeard, the Captain's right-hand himself, had come to this conclusion as soon as the majority of the crew had been thrown off board, the Captain was determined. Determined to return home. Determined to bring their treasure to a place where they can hide it safely, away from the greedy hands of the government and other thieves.

"The wind is weak and night is about to fall," the Captain shouted from above, catching Blockbeard's attention. "I suggest we lock the wheel and take a look at what it is that drove some of our men insane."

Scurvy wasn't the only thing bringing the crew towards death. The other half of the deceased, did it to themselves, after seeing the treasure for themselves. The Captain and Blockbeard were the very few pirates who did not dare to touch some of the riches found in the chest, too focused on achieving their goal and being welcomed home again. Blockbeard couldn't wait to see his mother again. She was the one he was most scared to leave behind. His father, meanwhile, had, right after finding out about his son's future plans, declared war on him. He called him a heathen. An outlaw. A barbarian. It brought Blockbeard to the point of never wanting to be associated with him again.

He had no idea what the Captain was waiting for at home, though. A part of him wished he could take them with him. Welcome them into his humble abode, marry them, even, and then grow with them old. However, they'd made it clear to him and every other person attempting to flirt, that they were already married to the sea. "I have my loyalties not on land, but on the water, waiting for the magical waves to bring me down. My home is here, on the Festering Curse. And I will not leave it behind."

Yet, Blockbeard knew they had someone they wanted to return to. It hurt him to think so, but he knew it was the case nonetheless. His opinion could hardly change anything about it.

Their body is covered with scars; much more than Blockbeard's. While Blockbeard has a few painting his skin, nobody would see them if he were to stand next to the mutilated body of the Captain. Their left leg had been replaced by a wooden one, and their right eye was missing, the socket hiding behind an eye patch. They always wore the same dark red clothing, a black raven previously also following you around before it died in a storm.

They were coming down, gesturing to Blockbeard to follow them into the ship itself, where the treasure should be well-hidden, especially after the incidents that occurred. At least, that was what Blockbeard assumed at first, which is when he found it in the middle of the chamber where the other pirates used to sleep. The chest was locked, the Captain with the key. They sighed.

"Rum Lover and Lionheart were the last ones to ever touch it," they explained, another sharp and nervous breath leaving their dry lips. "Lionheart ended up killing Rum Lover for it, he told me, right before dying of scurvy."

"I suppose we shouldn't be surprised," Blockbeard mumbled, speaking loud enough for the Captain to hear it. "They carried the thing on board. Of course, they'd be most influenced by it."

The Captain nodded, their face serious and their mouth a mere line. Blockbeard couldn't help but feel his heart beating at the sight as his eyes floated around the lower part of their face. "Do you feel anything?" they then asked, dragging him out of his thoughts, and he shook his head.