--- CHAPTER 20: Moriarty

"Are you excited to see your new work place today?" Wilbur's voice is not heard by the three companions near the river, who are attempting to get back whatever it was that Tommy accidentally dropped from the Devil's Bridge, but you hear him loud and clear, thankfully, because he's standing right next to you, watching over the attempts to fish it out of the water.

Fundy was at first extremely angry that he had to help Tommy. He had told Wilbur that Tommy is none of his business, and he told him: 'the stupid little shit is so incompetent, that's not my fault'. However, Niki ended up dragging him along anyway, pissing the fox off even more. And now, he's just watching by as Tommy is screaming at you that he's going to jump into the water. You can't help but let out a laugh at that, before answering Wilbur. "It feels weird, but yeah. I suppose I'm looking forward to it quite a bit." Wilbur hums, turning around and leaning against the rail of the bridge, as to ignore both Tommy and his son's insults and complaints. An audible sigh leaves his lips as you lean more forward to watch Tommy jump into the water, meaning you'll all arrive with one wet dog at DeMeter soon. While your mood is a bit silly, Wilbur is visibly more serious than usual, looking around him with paranoia shining in his eyes. "What's up with you, though? It's almost like we switched roles."

Telling Wilbur about what happened beforehand, without mentioning too many names, certainly did you some good. Having Jared and Schlatt by your side is always comforting, but you don't live with them, so they can do a lot less than Wilbur can, despite him being a part of the biggest culprits. And while you're sure your own anxiety is going to return soon, you aren't afraid to enjoy the relaxation of having someone carry the weights with you.

Wilbur crosses his arms, looking at the paths next to the river on the other side before glancing over his shoulder at the laughing Tommy, having grabbed Fundy by the tail in an attempt to throw him into the water with him. Niki is there still too. "You've lived in this world before, right? Does that mean you know who the members of the Syndicate are?" He sends you a side-glance, and you can't help but look over at Niki. She didn't hear. None of them did.

"What would you do with the information?" you ask, well aware of the dangers knowledge brings. Wilbur scoffs, avoiding your eye.

"Give the victims of theirs the justice they deserve. Do I need to remind you the Blood God almost killed us?" He raises his voice ever so slightly, but not to the point your other companions would be able to hear what you're talking about. And while you did indeed forget, for your memory is not what it used to be, you can't help but question what would come from telling him.

"I doubt that would be such a smart idea, Wilbur."

"What do you mean?" he laughs, making eye contact as he tilts his head with a confused grin. "Don't you believe everyone deserves to get justice? You, out of all people, should know how difficult those traumas can be."

"I don't doubt they deserve justice, I doubt I should tell you their identities." You're not thinking about ethic. You're not thinking about whether or not you have the right, or how fair it'd be if you just gave away their names like that. You're thinking about what it'd do to him. Technoblade is still his brother, and Philza is still his father. What will happen to him, and to Tommy, and to whomever else would know, if they were to discover people they consider loved ones, would kill them in an instant, without second thought? "I worry it'd lead you to insanity, just like how justice sent me into a downwards spiral."

"Y/N, I'm not going to go mad," Wilbur laughs, and you nod firmly.

"That's what you promised me." His face shifts into that of hesitation as he hears those words, which you catch before looking away. "You may think now it won't, but when you're in the moment, you're going to lose sight of yourself. It may sound unlikely, but I can assure you: it's bound to happen. I'm not telling you to forgive and forget: I'm telling you to let it be for what it is now, and not try to cheat your way out of it."