| 2 |

...

-First Month-

Kanae felt something beating in her chest, a soft pounding that she had missed for a long time. It was a beating heart, her heart.

The feeling of being pressured, hands and feet immobilized under a soft blanket, didn't bother Kanae. Nor did being held by arms much bigger than hers scare her; somehow, all these sensations made her feel safe.

"What a beautiful baby", she heard a gentle voice speak.

Kanae opened her eyes with some difficulty, excited to see this person. When she achieved her task, she saw a very blurry woman smiling at her.

"She's a beautiful girl, honey", was the voice of a man speaking this time.

"What name are we going to give her? I was thinking of Mitsuyi or perhaps a mystical name like..." It was the voice of an older man, sounding excited. But before he could finish giving his opinion, the woman holding her interrupted him.

"Kanae," was what her mother said, still looking at her. "Higurashi Kanae, it will be her name."

"Kanae", the man spoke, her father. "It's a beautiful name for a beautiful girl".

"Hmm. Yes, that's a good name, daughter," agreed the man she would later learn was her grandfather.

Kanae could only feel happy.

-One Year Old-

It had been a while already. Kanae got used to this new life that she was given faster than she expected.

'It's more... modern than I remember,' was the first thing she thought when she saw the big buildings greeting her for the first time. When her mother took her for a walk with her grandfather to the city.

'Tokyo' was the name of the city they lived in, she learned herself. She still lives in Japan, but not at the same time or in the same world where she once existed, she quickly realized.

It was a bit bittersweet, but Kanae could bear it. She was still a baby, after all; she had many years ahead of her to learn to live with it.

For now, she would be happy just to see the big buildings greeting her.

-Two Years Old-

"Come on, say grandpa"

Kanae wanted to laugh, but she was afraid that if she did, like the last time she did, her grandfather would cry dramatically.