{Saki's POV}

The sun is coming up as I make my way up to the palace. I don't have to be at work yet, but I can't get over the view of daybreak each morning. My little home, more like a shack but it's home nonetheless, isn't too far from the castle so I can typically take my time getting there. My siblings and I have been working for the royal family for the past five years; our mother is too ill to be left by herself and our father passed serving as the King's general. The oldest, Ochako, serves outside usually as a palace guard; Megumi works in the kitchen, his specialty is baking; and I work amongst the other general servants, helping whoever needs an extra hand.

I arrive at the gates with plenty of time before my shift, but I don't mind going early. As soon as I make it into the servants' quarters; the "boss" rushes to my side, startling me a bit. They don't typically invade anyone's personal space or move as such an intense speed unless something big is happening.

"The king would like to speak with you, I believe he's in the throne room. No clue what it's about but he seems very serious; I'm sure it's nothing... Good luck."

"Y-yes Boss," I stutter and nod respectfully before heading to the throne room.

The king never "speaks" with us, we're just ordered about. Oh dear, what if I'm being fired? Will I been sent to serve in the military? I'm not cut out for war. Will the whole family deal be off? I rack my brain for things I may have done wrong and what the punishment might be; all while trying to keep calm on the outside. When I reach the throne room, I keep my head up but my eyes are glued to the floor. Once in front of the King, I kneel respectfully and bow my head. Thankfully I've been in his presence enough to keep my composure and don't tremble in fear.

"Please stand, Young Sohma." King Maruko says calmly and waits for me to stand. "I called for you because I was fairly close to your father, and have been keeping a good eye on you and your siblings. Based on my observations, I'm choosing to entrust you with a very important... Actually, the most important job I can offer."

"I'm so sorry, Your Hig-" I stumble back slightly out of shock. "You aren't firing me...?

The king lets out a deep chuckle; "Quite the opposite. Why? Should I be firing you for some reason, Saki?"

"No, Your Highness. I j-just wasn't expecting any of this."

"Good. Now for your new, permanent, position in this palace. I was originally going to appoint your sister because she has a strong build and they seem to get along well enough; but upon further thinking, I believe you are the best choice."

Where is he going with this? And how am I a better option then Ochako, especially with something extremely important? ... Actually, nevermind. "Best choice? For what, Your Majesty?" I ask, far less confidently than I hoped.

"To escort my only heir; to be her right hand. Momo is coming of age and will need someone by her side; you will need to be her bodyguard, her go-to, and her friend."

I don't know what to say, my entire body froze as the king spoke. He must be joking; building me up just to cut me down all the way to my early grave. However, the look on His Majesty's face seems so serious, and his eyes look so kind. Of course he would only want what's best for his daughter so why me? A peasant teen who might become orphaned if her mother gets any worse.

"Are you sure, King Maruko? I'm in n-no way trying to doubt you- and I'm beyond honored; but I'm afraid I'm far too ill-qualified to protect the princess." My previously frozen body is now ablaze with anxiety.

"Oh but you are, Little Sohma. No one will expect someone so young to take care of someone as important as Princess Momo. And you're the same age as my daughter to hopefully you'll become friends; she doesn't have many that aren't tied in as ally purposes. On top of that, I said before that I trust your family. So please, Saki, accept my offer." He says as if I really have much of an option to decline.