Chapter 3: Serpent

I slept soundly, safely and warmly. In my dry bed--- Slept. Slept. I slept, for I was not sleeping anymore. The rocking ship awoke me from a fantastical dream, and I got up with a start. The floor was wet, and water spilled in amounts that slightly soggied my blanket. I groggily rubbed my eyes and heard screaming on deck. I didn't have time to throw on something that covered my legs and lower midriff, and I was barefoot.

I ran onto deck, and the hail drowned all screams and orders. My feet froze over from the cold salty water flooding the deck. I shivered, my senses overwhelmed. Someone barreled into me, and only after they crashed did I realise the boat was rocking. I got thrown off my feet and crashed into a large pillar. A crack reverberated through my head, and a splitting pain roared at my skull. I screamed out.

No one could hear; they were all busy with letting the ship not sink. I clamoured back onto my feet and ran for the front. I scanned the waters. The weather was wild, unpredictable and shaky. But something brewed within the waters. A bubbling escaped from the depths to the surface. A dark shadow slithered beneath the dark water. I reeled back, realising what was to breach the icy waters. In the loudest voice I could, I screamed out:

"Sea Serpent! Man Weapons, Sea serpent!" Heads whipped around in fear as I scrambled away from the front and reached for the spilt weapon rack. Prince Zuko was up top, shouting orders. His eyes widened at the sight. The hail pounded at the metal deck, creating an orchestra of creaky thuds. I lunged for the bow, its arrows safely stored in a quiver with a lid. I frantically reached for the buckle, my numb fingers slipping over the strap.

I heard the screeches behind me and felt myself fall backwards as the serpent's weight had fallen on the front of the ship. I held my balance as the serpent was occupied with the men at the front. I took one arrow out of the quiver and strung it up, pulling the taught string of the bow as far back as I could. Breathing in erratic patterns, I lined up my shot. Something to stun it. I closed my left eye and let the arrow fly. It whistled all the way to the serpent's neck. It stuck itself in the scaly flesh.

The serpent did not slow. It only angered. It saw me, the bow in hand, face pale. It lifted its Blue glistening tale, yellow and pink fins fanning off in sheer sheets. I stood in fear, unsure of my next move. Its tail swung back, and I saw it begin to come down at absolute speed. A quick weight barreled me over to the side, shielding me from the rain. The tail swung down, and both of us jumped from the force and slammed back down onto the hard deck. I breathed out, looking to the side to see where I would have been if the person hadn't gotten me out of the way.

The tail only got back up, ready to strike again. The mystery figure got up, lending a hand. I took his hand, and through the hail and rain, I made out his fiery scar. Zuko. "Thank you!" I shouted out, and he nodded. I looked up to see the serpent's tail growing near. I yanked his arm backwards as I directed us to behind the pillar I smacked my head on. The tail looked for other prey as we caught our breath behind it. He peered around, and he appeared to be clutching his right arm. I saw dark liquid pooling out. He held a spear, but his arm was too injured to use it.

I took it from his arm and stepped out from behind the pillar. The deckmen were trying to pry the serpent off with any pointy thing they could find. The serpent opened its mouth, displaying its sharp, gnarly teeth. I raised the spear, really lining up my shot. Its mouth stayed open, screeching its deadly song. Reeling the spear back, I shot it forward, the force of my throw knocking me forward. The spear soared, flying over the many men's heads.

It flew right into its gaping mouth, landing at a pressure point at the back of its throat. The serpent screamed a ghastly sound, something so loud even I covered my ears. It thrashed around, its tail receding from the deck. It spat jets of water in protest, but it knew its battle was lost. It was not finished, but it was wounded, and that was good enough. It hissed, and in a quick flash, it shot back into the depth of the ocean. Its weight left the ship, and I now tipped backwards. I smacked into Zuko as we crashed into the lower deck's door. Sliding down the hallway, our momentum slowed, and the ship stilled.

I lay there, eyes closed, pressed up against a body. The rain began to slow, and I groggily sat up. I opened my eyes, and a dark cloud in my vision cleared, revealing prince Zuko lying on the floor, eyes open, breathing heavily. He clutched his arm, blood spilling through the cracks of his fingers. I gasped and reached for some sort of cloth. Of course, there wasn't a med kit on standby for any surprise sea serpent attacks. I ripped a piece off of my shorts and wrapped it hurriedly around his arm, applying heavy pressure. He groaned and shot me a coma-inducing glare.

"I can just let you bleed out if you want. It would benefit me, but probably not you." I angrily remarked. He sighed and nodded, signalling for me to go on. I kept wrapping the far too-thin material. Tying the soaked black material tight, I let go, leaving him to hold and put pressure on his own wound. We sat there in silence, catching our breath.

Sweat dripped down my neck. Zuko lit a fire in his palm, lighting up the empty hall. I could make out the men on deck, still steering the ship, but managing. Most of the storm was caused by the serpent. I sighed in relief. I rubbed the ever-trickling sweat and water off my neck, but more kept coming. I looked at the hand that wiped it away and sharply inhaled at the sight of crimson blood on the tips of my fingers, illuminated by Zuko's flame. He peered over and saw it too. In a grunt, he propped himself up, peering behind my head. He inhaled sharply.

"What is it? Zuko, what's wrong?" I anxiously exclaimed. 

"Your head, did you hit it?" Only now did the searing ache in my head reveal itself. The groggy events replayed in my head, and I remembered when I heard that crack as I slammed my head into the pillar. 

"I- yes, I did, but I..." I trailed off, black spots speckled my vision, and another pain split through my skull, the dull pounding of its pain intensifying behind my eyes. I breathed shallowly as I felt my consciousness slip. Zuko said something, but it came out muffled to my ears. I looked at him and my vision went blank. I felt myself fall back, and my head was caught by an arm. The sound was the last thing I heard as I slipped into a forced sleep.