Chapter 6: "Fight me, Prince Zuko"

He glared at me and walked past. My pockets had been stuffed with my reports on the ship for weeks, so I was eager to get to a post office. I walked down the ramp into the small coastal town. It was shaded by many trees and had the whitest sand I had ever seen. I was told to stay with the group, but I slipped away.

I walked through the shaded streets, my boots crunching the red leaves on the ground. Zuko's crew became increasingly out of range. I saw the small post office. It was boxy and was coated in blue, cracking paint. A frail old man stood behind the counter, glasses perched on the bridge of his nose as he read the paper. I looked around the shop, waiting for him to notice me.

It had wood floors and a room out back. I could hear the squawks of the messenger birds, each in their pigeonholes. He finally looked up.

"Oh, hello, young lady! How may I help you?" He asked, slightly startled. He put the paper down and shoved his glasses back up. I walked forward to the counter.

"Hi sir, I'd like to deliver these papers to Ba Sing Se, addressed to La Dii," I said. 'La Dii' was the code name for the Dai Li, which I used. It was to ensure I didn't blow my cover. I fished the tightly wrapped papers out of my pocket. They were wrapped in red ribbon but had Earth Kingdom symbols printed on them. It was a ribbon the Dai Li gave especially to me, so they knew it was 100% me when I sent it.

He nodded and took the papers, placing them in a pigeonhole. I pulled a few copper coins out of my pocket and handed them to him. He smiled and nodded. "Thank you, sir. Is there anything I need to sign?" I asked. He slid a form to me and a pencil. He then disappeared into the back.

I leant on the counter, scribbling in my fake details. A ring came from the doorbell. Someone had entered. I kept writing, lost in thought. I was thinking of how red the forest was here. I hadn't seen such red naturally for a long time. The person who entered stood next to me. I assumed they were waiting.

It felt as if they were looking at my form.

I filled out the box that asked what nation I originated from. I ticked the Fire Nation box. Suddenly, the person next to me was tense. I looked at a boy perhaps a year or two younger than me. He had scruffy brown hair, strange handmade, and found armour on it, as well as a piece of straw hanging from his mouth.

"May I help you?" I asked sarcastically. He looked from my paper to me. 

"Are you Fire Nation?" I stood up straighter, now alert. If I lied–well, that was out of the question– but if I told the truth (or my half-truth), I could've been in danger. I felt my heartbeat rise.

"Yes," I answered. A look of anger grew on his face. He rested his hand on the hilt of a sword. He began again. 

"You fire Nation are all the same. Why are you here? To hurt us again? There's a larger town just beyond this forest with your people posted on every street corner." He said it like there was acid on his tongue.

I took a step back, cautious. " I don't know anything about that. I work on a ship," I said. He didn't seem satisfied. 

"Letting one of you go is letting all of you go." Before I could say anything, he, in a quick flash, pulled out two swords. They were hooks. He swung, and I ducked, rolling to the side. I collided with the wall.

He swung again, and I dodged. I got up to run to the door, but he blocked it by swinging his hooked-together swords in front of it. I knew I shouldn't fight; it would put me at risk. But if I didn't, my life would be at risk.

Fight it is, then.

I rolled up my pants and unsheathed the dagger tucked into my boots. I lunged at him, aiming for his face. Suddenly, I changed my trajectory. He began to block his face before he realised my move. I bent low and slashed at his ankle hastily. It hit most of his shoe, but some was his flesh. I leapt back, and he cried out.

My side screamed in agony as I got up from my stance. It wasn't fully healed or enjoying this experience. He saw me grip my side and honed in on my weak spot. Aiming for my wound, he ran at me. I tried to swivel out of the way, but not quick enough. He sliced my forearm with the hooked sword. The hook was embedded in my arm.

I winced and pulled it out. Blood dripped on the wood floor. The storekeeper re-entered the room and looked at us with wide eyes. The advantage of me facing the counter was that this Earth Kingdom boy was not. "Stop!" The old man shouted out. The boy snapped his neck around to investigate the source of the noise.

Using that split second, I dashed out the door. The bell rang in betrayal, and the boy was focused on me now. I had one foot out, but one foot was still in. He grabbed my ankle, and I slammed down into the leaf-covered dirt. My chin got most of the blow, and the wind was knocked out of me. I rolled over, coughing.

He stood over me as I heaved. He asked me a question. "Why do you fight for the wrong side?". He leaned down and held the swords against my neck. I glared at him. 

"Because I have to," I said. My legs kicked out, and I tried to wriggle away. I attempted to reach for my dagger, which I dropped in the fall. He kicked it away. The old man in the shop watched in horror.

I punched him in the jaw, and he faltered slightly. I kicked him in the stomach and rolled backwards. I began to run again. He followed me, determined not to let me back on the ship. I saw some of my crew in the distance. I waved and shouted out to them. "Help!"

I saw the rock before my foot did. I tripped over again. I used my hands to break the fall and rolled. The boy threw a dagger at me, and it barely missed. It pinned me down by my sleeve. He raised what appeared to be some rope, but before he could tie it, it erupted in flames. The rope's ashes fell onto the ground as the boy looked in astonishment. I scampered away.

The boy looked astonished. A figure walked over to him and grabbed him by the collar. Someone pulled me up by arms. I saw it was Iroh. He had a warm smile on his face and asked if I was alright. I nodded slowly, in shock, and looked back to who had burnt the rope. It was Zuko. I sighed. He was holding the boy by the collar in one hand and a flame in the other.

Iroh stepped in. "Zuko, do not hurt this young man. He is confused and angered by the fire nation. We must stay calm," Iroh said in a soothing voice. Zuko looked at his uncle angrily but dropped the boy. "If you ever try to attack my crew again, my next stop at this village won't just be a stock-up."

The boy glared angrily at Zuko."I'll back off this time, but know that I have more in store for your little Fire Nation buddies," he said.

He ran off and jumped into the trees. More shadowed figures jumped away with him in the trees, and I realised he had more people on his side. The faceless shadows disappeared into the tree line along with the boy.

I let a breath go in relief, "Thank you." 

Zuko turned around, and I smiled. He did not return the gesture. "What were you delivering?" He asked, his voice still as cold as ever. I inhaled sharply. 

"Nothing you need to worry about." A lie, of course, but my mail was my mail. He furrowed his brows.

"The minute you get off this ship, you mail secret items and get into a fight. How can I trust you to do more?" He said with disdain. I was in disbelief. Iroh hit Zuko on the arm, telling him to stop. 

 "Fuck off, Zuko," I said in anger. I turned around and stomped away. 

"Where are you going?" Iroh shouted. I stopped and turned around. Zuko stood stubbornly.

"I am getting ready to train the Crown Prince. Fight me, Prince Zuko, and we'll see how much more I can do."

Zuko smirked, ready to take me up on it. I swiveled around and walked off before Iroh could respond.