Chapter 9: Cold Water

I was out on deck, attempting to sweep stubborn snow off the ship, but it wasn't going to budge. I frustratedly threw my half-frozen broom down. It slid on the icy metal, rapidly climbing to the edge of the ship. I ran after it and clutched it by its handle just in time. Suddenly, a swoosh of wind toppled the broom over, and it splashed into the cold water.

I angrily sighed. "Oh, for fucks sake–" I was cut off as I heard footsteps frantically running behind me. I whipped my head around to see the avatar running past, or rather, running away. He opened his staff into a glider and began to jump off the ship's balcony. I only watched in awe.

Zuko wasn't far behind and came up behind the Avatar, grasping onto his leg. Aang looked back in shock at Zuko. They flew in the air for a few seconds, but the extra weight of Zuko caused them to crash into the lower deck. I raced over to watch. They began to assume a fighting stance again but were interrupted by a large growl from up above. I looked up to see a large... buffalo? Except it was flying. Things were just getting more and more absurd the longer I stayed on that ship.

"What is that?" Zuko echoed, not really asking anyone.

"Appa!" The monk yelled in an accidental answer.

Aang blocked Zuko's attack, but he accidentally propelled himself backwards, flying dangerously close to the edge. He teetered, almost losing his footing, but he regained it in the end. Zuko approached again. He looked at me, watching the scene unfold.

"Help me!" Zuko ordered, his tone threatening. I looked between him and the avatar, feeling... conflicted? I pushed the thought away and nodded. I pulled a dagger out of its sheath on my ankle and pelted it at the Avatar, attempting to pin him by his shoe. He narrowly dodged, but in doing so, he didn't see the other blast from Zuko heading straight for him. He was knocked back by the force and thrown off the side into the water.

I heard the water tribe girl scream for him above, but it was too faint to make out. I walked to the edge, bending down to dislodge my dagger from the ship's floor. I tucked it back into its sheath when I heard a rumbling from below. The waters, once still state, began to shake. I looked over the edge, confused, when suddenly the water began to glow. I attempted to back up from the water, but a hand emerged from it. The water-bended hand grabbed my ankle and threw me into the sea.

I screamed at the sudden contact and splashed into the freezing water. I felt engulfed by the deep mass. My heavy boots were only helping drag me down. I panicked and thrashed around like a lunatic. I had the mind to open my eyes and found I was facing the avatar. His tattoos and eyes were lit, no, glowing. He had this emotionless expression.

A swirl of water encircled the monk, and he began to lift out of the water. I looked up to the surface where he supported himself on a tornado of icy cold water. Icy cold. The water seeped into my skin. It felt like my heart was numb, my hands unfeeling, and my stomach grew cold. I attempted to swim up in the freezing water, but it was the first time I had ever been thrust into something so cold. 

But it was no use; everything on me was dragging me down: my pants, my boots, my coat. I felt so heavy and so, so cold. My arms stopped trying to churn through the water, and I felt myself begin to sink.

Was this how I died? There was so much more I was supposed to do, I thought. When I saw the Avatar, I felt as if I had a purpose, something to do.

But was my purpose to fight the Avatar or join him?

My thoughts became fuzzy as my last strains of oxygen fizzled out of me.

Suddenly, two arms wrapped around mine, pulling me up from my armpits. They dragged me up through the thick mass of water. My head breached the surface, and I took an agonisingly harsh breath. I gasped and sputtered, opening my eyes. I found the strength to tread water. The person who had saved me was Zuko. I stared at him, trying to speak, but I was exhausted. He looked up at the sky.

The avatar and his bison flew away, climbing higher and higher into the skies. Zuko gestured his head over to a ladder being lowered over the side of the ship. I nodded and began to swim over, mustering up all my strength after nearly drowning. I gripped the metal ladder, placed my foot on the small step, and began to climb.

I placed my foot again on another small step but felt the toe of my boot slip from the metal. I began to tumble backwards, but a pair of hands supported me from my waist. My heart jumped a little, and I couldn't tell if it was from the slip or from the... no, definitely not, I thought, swatting the small thought away as if it were a fly.

I kept climbing until I reached the edge of the ship. Iroh helped me up. I thanked him and immediately shed the layer of my coat. I also took off my jumper. I heaved, feeling worn out. My teeth chattered, and I drew my arms close to my body, attempting to warm up. If I were allowed to firebend, I would be fine right now, but I couldn't.

The deck was in ruins, and the front half of the ship was swallowed in a mound of snow. I grabbed my coat and jumper and rushed to my room, freezing cold and in no room to chat. I stripped off all my clothes and hung them all over my room. I locked the door, making sure no one could come in.

I used some "borrowed" string and pegs to hang my clothes from the frame of my bunk bed to my mirror on my small table. I looked around my room, listening out for anyone outside. Hastily, using only the tips of my fingers, I lit a warm fire. The red and orange embers danced around like they were happy to be alive. I was happy to bend for the first time in months.

I swiftly lit all the candles and oil lamps I could find in my room. I grabbed my old pair of ripped sleeping shorts and a black singlet, something to change into whilst I dried. I got out my folder hidden on my desk and my pencil. I sat on the bottom bunk, my floor receiving all the water runoff from my soaked clothes. I was still shivering, even with a blanket wrapped around me. I hurriedly wrote my report to the Dai Li, keeping it simple.

To the 'La Dii'

From: YULAXUSA.

The Avatar is alive. 

He is a young boy around the age of 12 or appears to be. There is no news on how he has sustained his form for 100 years. He is dressed in air nomad monk attire and has shown he bends air and water so far. He has blue arrow tattoos on his head and hands, following his chi path. His name is Aang. He was last seen in the Southern Water tribe.

Prince Zuko continues to pursue the Avatar but has failed to capture him yet.

Also, you're late on my paycheck, and I would like to request a new bird. The tattered one you sent me is hell-bent on peeling the print from my fingers until they are nubs.

Written from the middle of the South Pole, close to the Southern Water tribe village.

Signed Yulaxusa.

I ripped the piece of paper from the folder and slid it under the top bunk's mattress. I lay under the covers, trying to warm up. I suddenly felt very exhausted and closed my eyes, letting the wave of sleep fall over me.

A/N: This chapter was small, but hope you enjoyed it :)