Chapter 11: "He's turned you soft, hasn't he?

Zuko and I sat in chairs now, flanked by two soldiers. Iroh sat at the table, calmly sipping his tea as we faced Zhao. He paced.

"So a twelve-year-old boy bested you and your firebenders. You're more pathetic than I thought." Zhao stated fire on his tongue. I glared at him.

"That twelve-year-old boy is the Avatar", I retaliated, angered by Zhao.

"You'd be best to hold her tongue before she loses it," Zhao responded. I practically growled at him.

"I underestimated him once, but it will not happen again!" Zuko argued angrily.

"No, it will not. Because you won't have a second chance." Zhao revealed wickedly. My eyes widened in disbelief. How could one man be so cruel?

"Commander Zhao, I've been hunting the Avatar for two years, and I -"

Zhao turned around and spread a fan of flames in aggravation; "And you failed! Capturing the Avatar is too important to leave in a teenager's hands. He's mine now." I got up from my seat in anger. I faced Zhao.

"How could you? You know this is Prince Zuko's only way out of his banishment, and you take it away because of one slip-up?" I questioned, fuming. Zhao raised his palm and slapped me square in the face with the force of a hammer. The blow threw me down on the floor, knocking me into a chair.

My hair hung over my face as I breathed in shock. Zuko jumped out of his chair, lunging at Zhao. The two soldiers held him back. "Keep them here," Zhao commanded, leaving the tent. The soldiers resumed their positions at the tent's opening. Zuko kicked the table, snapping it cleanly in half.

I rubbed my face tenderly, knowing that it would bruise. Zuko turned around and saw me still on the ground. He bent down. "Are you okay?" he asked, looking at the bruise already forming on my face. I felt my face warm beneath his gaze.

"Just peachy," I said as I hastily got up.

We sat in that tent in silence

We sat in that tent in silence. I fiddled with my bracelet in boredom. Zhao re-entered the tent. I saw him look at my fully-formed bruise, probably admiring his handiwork.

"My search party is ready. Once I'm out to sea, my guards will escort you back to your ship, and you'll be free to go." Zhao said. I rolled my eyes, and he only smirked in return. 

"Why? Are you worried I'm going to try and stop you?" Zuko hissed.

Zhao began to laugh. "You? Stop me? Impossible." I would do anything to wipe that smirk off his ugly face. 

Zuko got up in a burst of rage. "Don't underestimate me, Zhao! I will capture the Avatar before you!" Zuko declared. I really hoped it was true for him. And with the news of the avatar to the Dai Li, my paycheck had been increasing.

Iroh got up as well, "Prince Zuko, that's enough," Iroh said sternly. 

Zhao began to respond. "You can't compete with me. I have hundreds of warships under my command, and you? You're just a banished prince. No home, no allies. Your own father doesn't even want you." I bet it stung because most of it was true.