20. Egypt

Two days into the New Year, Egypt was still in a mood after finding out Karma slept not only with Lily but another girl too. She tried not to let it bother her but it was damn near impossible.

It was Monday morning and Egypt was sitting on the balcony with her saxophone in her lap, enjoying the cold winter air blowing against her face.

Karma was on her mind but not in the way that gave her butterflies. She sighed and let her eyes fall over the city.

How did I let myself catch feelings for her so fast? Egypt asked herself as she prepared to play the instrument resting in her lap.

After she wet the brand new reed and attached it back onto the mouthpiece, she took another deep breath before closing her eyes.

As soon as the air from her lungs made its way into the sax, soft, sweet notes helped morph her world into a fantasy.

Everything was perfect in her fantasy world.

It was so easy to get lost and without realizing it, hours passed by quickly. Egypt was so focused on her hearts music notes seeping over the city, she didn't hear or feel her phone ring right next to her.

Thinking something was wrong inside the apartment since he always heard back from his sister, Osiris used his spare key to get inside and then dashed around living room, in search of Egypt. His shoulders visibly relaxed as he stepped closer to the balcony.

"Hey sis." Osiris spoke softly but still startled Egypt and made her stop playing instantly.

With wide eyes and her heart beating damn near out of her chest, Egypt stood to her feet.

"You scared me, fool! What are you doing here!?" She laughed and swatted at Osiris' chest.

Opening his arms for his sister, he shook his head and kissed her forehead.

Before coming over, he hadn't smiled all day. Seeing his baby sister and the way her eyes always lit up any room she was in made him forget about the bad news he was about to drop on her.

"Sooo, what's up? What's wrong?" Egypt could sense the tension in Osiris' demeanor before he could try to hide it.

"You wanna go inside and talk?"

"No, what's wrong? Tell now now, Osiris." Egypt sat her saxophone down in the chair and stepped closer to Osiris as he stared down at the city.

Suddenly, a wave of nausea crushed her body like a semi-truck. 

"Is it mama? What happened? Is..." she stopped talking as tears blurred her vision.

Osiris didn't move a muscle. He didn't say a word. He was barely even breathing.

Up until now, he was doing okay keeping everything together. But when he turned to face his baby sister, who he was supposed to protect from the world, and saw the fear and uncertainty in her eyes, he lost it.

"Mom's gone, Egypt..."

~~~

Seven hours passed and Egypt remained on the balcony, too stunned to move. Her mom, the woman who gave her life, was no longer breathing.

Egypt didn't want to believe it. She couldn't. In her mind, God wouldn't do that to her or her family. She thought she had more time to get over her fear so she could see her face to face at least one more time.

But she was wrong.

It was dark, cold and drizzling but still, Egypt couldn't bring herself to go inside. Osiris stayed with her outside for more than a couple of hours before he couldn't escape his thoughts any longer. He was a drinker and always found himself in front of a bar but Egypt wasn't like that.

She wiped her swollen eyes and stared up at the sky.

"I'm so sorry, mama. I wanted to come see you so bad." Egypt's cries turned into uncontrollable sobs.

She would never get to hear her mom's voice again, feel her arms wrapped around her, or even receive a simple text that always made her day.

As drizzle turned into rain, Egypt continued to sit and drown in her own tears. Is this what heartache feels like? Egypt thought as she cried harder.

How could I let you die and not go see you one time??? She scolded herself as anger flooded her veins.

Noticing the glistening saxophone resting by her feet made her stomach turn. She was so angry, she picked it up without thinking and slammed it on the ground over and over until it broke and shattered everywhere.

"I'm so sorry, mommy." She cried as she slid down a wall and sat on the wet concrete.

Egypt was completely lost in her own world. She didn't feel Karma's presence not even a little bit. All she wanted to do was cry.

So she did.

Fifteen minutes later, Karma finally climbed over the rail separating their apartments and sat down next to Egypt.

Neither girl said anything. Nothing needed to be said. Karma knew the only thing that could make Egypt destroy her sax was bad news and since she knew her mom was sick, it wasn't hard for her to put two and two together.

Karma pulled the woman into her arms and rested her head on her shoulder.

They stayed like that for two hours. Even though it was raining, Karma didn't care. She wanted to be there for Egypt and Egypt wanted her to be there too.

A little after midnight, Karma finally stood to her feet and held her hand out for Egypt to take.

Once they were inside, Karma went straight to the bathroom and started the shower. It was warm inside the apartment, thankfully but both girls were still wet, shivering and cold.

Egypt allowed Karma to get her undressed before she stepped inside the shower. The water was steamy and hot against her skin, turning it red in a matter of seconds, but she liked it.

When it was Karma's turn to get in, Egypt stepped to the side and made room for her.

Despite it being their first shower together, there wasn't any lust or desire sitting in between them. Tears clouded Egypt's vision again and fell down her cheeks, instantly catching Karma's attention.

"I got you, Egypt." Karma whispered as she wiped the tears from Egypt's cheeks.

Egypt nodded her head and wrapped her arms around Karma's naked body. When she did that, it was like everything came crashing down on her at once.

"My mom's...really gone."

...