𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟔

𝐀𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐀

I'm staring, I know I am.

But how could I not?

The eyes staring back at me just capture my attention. The dark blue on the outer rim bleeding into the light blue that surrounds the pupil.

There's a reason I am so drawn to those eyes. There's a reason they've drawn me in.

They give me comfort.

Somehow, some way, those blue eyes that were currently running over my face make me feel safe.

I don't know their owner, don't know the man they are attached to, but I can just feel this overwhelming warmth in my chest. Something that is telling me, "You're safe. You're protected. I've got you." And it only comes around when I look into his eyes.

I could feel it when I first saw him at the plane and I can feel it again now.

And I love the feeling.

"Hey," a voice breathes next to me and I quickly turn my head to the sound of her voice.

A woman, kind and caring, has been staying with me. She's been here with me daily ever since I scared that other man away, even staying here overnight. I know she has a girlfriend, I've heard her come in sometimes when I'm closing my eyes.

Sometimes it's too hard to sleep.

Sometimes, I'm scared of what awaits me while I sleep.

A smile graces the woman's lips, Kaylee if I remember correctly. She leans forward from her chair and rests a single hand on the edge of the bed.

"I know it's a lot to ask right now," she starts and I watch her. Her voice is soft and comforting, she does have a comforting presence.

Not as much as the man with blue eyes but it's still nice.

"But I really need a doctor to examine you, would you be okay with that?" I tense up slightly and I know she can see it, her eyes take in my body's movement from under the comforter, but she doesn't say anything or question me further.

My eyes flick to the man standing at the edge of the bed. He looks worried and slightly uncomfortable, but it doesn't seem as though he wants to leave. His eyes are trained on me, taking in my body language and anything I may not be saying with words.

Kaylee must think I'm uncomfortable with his presence because her next words make my stomach drop.

"Hey, why don't you leave us."

His eyes flick away from me and to her. He nods his head before taking a step back and looking back at me. He nods his head at me, his eyes taking in my face. I'm not sure if he can read the weird emotions swirling through me, maybe disappointment or sadness. I don't want him to go.

"No." The word comes out as a whisper and I'm not sure if he can even catch it, but when he stops backing away towards the door I know he's heard me.

Kaylee stands up and sits on the edge of the mattress. "You want Gio to stay?"

Gio.

Why is that name so perfect?

I feel it bouncing around in my brain, the word rolling through different parts almost as if I'm saying it and hearing it from my own lips, my own voice.

I nod my head, my eyes still locked on his. His eyes roam over my face like he is trying to read me, trying to figure out what's going on in my head.

Good luck figuring it out, I don't even understand it.

All I know is it feels good to have this man around, to be able to look into his eyes and just get lost in them.

Gio nods his head and walks back up to the end of the bed. His eyes flicker to Kaylee before resting on me, watching me.

"Are you okay if we bring in a doctor, hun?" Kaylee asks again. I know I need to see one, I know I look horrendous, I've looked in the mirror. I'm boney, gangly, too thin to be healthy, my cheeks are sunken in and my eyes have bags that could take me shopping, but the idea of having someone look at me, judging me, and most likely touching me, I don't like it.

Kaylee leans into her face is further into my peripheral vision. "They don't have to touch you. I can be the one to do so or they could walk you through how to do some things." I watch as her eyes glance over to Gio's, she tries to search his face, but his eyes don't leave me. "Gio could also help if you're comfortable with that."

I break my contact with Gio and look to her, her eyes soften as they collide with mine and my body seems to relax more as I look at her comforting gaze, the man staring down at me also somehow helping with my comfort.

"Yes."

Kaylee lets out a breath and then smiles down at me. "Good, good. I'm going to give them a call. Try and get them over here soon." She stands from the bed and looks at Gio, "Are you good to stay-"

"Yeah." Gio doesn't even hesitate to answer and a weird fluttering sensation takes over in my stomach.

That's odd.

"Great, I'll be right back." Kaylee heads to the door looking back at the both of us one more time before exiting into the hall to make the call.

Silence envelopes the room. Gio stands at the edge of the bed shifting his weight from one foot to the other and awkwardly nodding his head. It almost looks like he's bobbing it to the beat of a song, but I can't be sure.

I just watch him as he watches me, taking in the sight of his wavey brown hair, his white but deeply tanned skin, full plump lips that I kind of want to touch, and really long eyelashes that I know women would kill for.

The silence remains as we just take each other in. I haven't said much in the days I've been here, used to being silenced or only vocal during certain times, and even though I am out, there isn't just a switch I can flip to make my brain understand I am free. My vocal cords would just have to wait to be fully used, although they did get some use when the nightmares would come at me or when I would be thrown into a panic attack.

Gio clears his throat, catching my attention and pulling me away from my thoughts. "So um," he starts his eyes flicking to the wall before coming back to my face, "what's your name?"

Had I not told anyone that? My bad.

I look up at him, my lips falling open as I breathe, "Amara."

***

🌟 PLEASE VOTE 🌟

piiixi3