𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟕

𝐆𝐈𝐎

Amara. Amara. Amara.

It sounds so good in my head. Would sound even better coming from my lips.

Amara looks up at me, she really hasn't stopped staring at me since Kaylee left.

I don't mind though, she's pretty.

Beautiful. Breathtaking.

The door opens from behind me and Kaylee peaks in before entering. She looks at me, then Amara, then back to me.

She's observant that one. I'm sure she is already forming some sort of story, theory, or idea in her head.

"The doc is on their way up. I had called them this morning and asked her to come over, wanting to be prepared," she explains. I'm guessing for Amara's benefit, for her comfort.

Amara nods, but she doesn't look away from me. She just lays there, watching me, her eyes roaming over my face, my hair. She focuses most on my eyes.

Kaylee sits back in her chair and lets out a breath of air before breaking the silence once again.

"I love your hair, honey." Kaylee smiles at Amara and that's when she decides to look over at her. Amara gives her a small smile and nods back, a way of her saying thanks. "I once dyed my hair this horrible reddish-brown color. I swear it looked like a turd was on my head!" Kaylee laughs and I can't help but let a smile free, she always has a way of bringing the mood up.

I look back at Amara and thats when I see her laughing quietly to herself. Her body has fully turned towards Kaylee, her legs curled up into her chest, and her chin is tucked to the point where it looks like its touching her chest. I watch her as her eyes squeeze closed and her lips part slightly to let out the small breaths of air.

And I can't seem to look away.

I can feel Kaylee's eyes on the side of my face, but I don't look at her, no I watch as Amara giggles to herself about Kaylee's hair being the color of poop.

"And Gio," Kaylee starts and my eyes widen as my memory kicks in and I know the exact story she is about to tell this girl. "He thought it would be funny to dye all my barbie's hair orange." I look to Kaylee and roll my eyes as she smirks at me, then my eyes are back on Amara.

Her eyes have widened and there's a gleam of delight in her light eyes as she looks at me. A smile is overtaking her lips before she even knows the full story and god damn it this girl is so good.

I listen as Kaylee tells the rest of the story, I watch as Amara's eyes grow brighter as she finds out Kaylee wanted payback. I watch as Amara's smile grows and turns into a laugh when Kaylee tells her she bleached my hair and dyed it the ugliest green you could imagine.

"It was amazing! I swear it looked like someone threw up in his hair. Ahhh, I am so funny," Kaylee compliments herself as she leans back in the chair, a content sigh escaping her lips. "I need to get back to my pranks. I haven't pulled one in how long? Probably a year."

"No. Nope. No way." I turn my head, not even having noticed the door had been opened. Gabe stands there with our on-call doctor shaking his head at his sister. "The last thing you need to be doing is pulling pranks. Your little demon daughter is already enough trouble. The last thing I need is for her to start doing that with you."

Kaylee gasps, "My sweet angel is not a demon!" She turns her head to Amara and pretends to whisper, "She totally is," before glaring back at her brother. "And who says I'm going to involve Halina? Me and my girl right here," she motions towards Amara whose lips were still pulled in a smile, slightly strained, but light is still shining from her eyes, "are going to team up. Isn't that right, love?"

Amara's eyes are wide as she looks at Kaylee, still cuddled up and nuzzled in the blankets. I can't help the small smirk that rises to my lips as her eyes move to me. Her mouth opens and closes once, twice, before she just nods her head.

Kaylee grins and looks to Gabriel, "Well, well, looks like I've got the perfect partner in crime. Watch your back brother."

"You little shit." Gabriel steps further into the room and I watch as the closer he gets to Amara the tenser her body becomes. My smile falls from my face and before I even know what I'm doing my hand is shooting out to stop him from getting any closer.

Gabriel stops and looks over at me, but I don't turn to see his face. I keep my eyes on the girl whose eyes are wider than saucers right now as she stares at me.

The doc chooses this moment to clear her throat. "Hi dear," she takes a few tentative steps forward and smiles at Amara. "Are you ready for the exam?"

Amara's eyes linger on me, flicking back and forth between my face and arm before turning her head to nod toward the doctor.

"Perfect, let's get started then."

***

🌟 PLEASE VOTE 🌟

piiixi3