𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟏

𝐀𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐀

Gio bursts into the kitchen, his eyes going straight to Kaylee. "Where the fuck did she go?"

Kaylee's eyebrows furrow as she looks at him. "What are you talking about? Where did who go?"

"Amara!" he yells. "I just went to check on her and she wasn't in there. Her door was opened and she, she was just gone! Nowhere!"

Kaylee smiles and her eyes flash to me before going back to Gio. "Turn around you dummy."

Gio's head turns back and his eyes meet mine, the beautiful blue capturing me in its gaze. I watch as he lets out a deep breath, his hand going to his chest to almost steady himself. He closes his eyes, his head tilting back and his shoulders sagging as he calms himself down.

"Fuck," he mutters before he opens his eyes again. His gaze travels all over my face, down my body noting the sweatpants and oversized sweatshirt I wear. "Almost gave me a heart attack."

Kaylee waltzes over and flings her arm over his shoulder, "Oh sweet, sweet Gio, what are we going to do with you?" She questions and then a devious light shines in her eyes. "Oh my gosh I just got the greatest idea." She leaves Gio behind and comes over to me, a playful smile on her face.

"Actually nope, I'm not gonna say anything to anyone," she twists away from me and starts to head in the direction of her daughter. "I'll just have to make it happen on my own," she says as she flips her hair over her shoulder.

What?

I choose to ignore that statement. I'm sure I will find out soon enough.

"Hey." I nearly jump out of my skin when I hear Gio's voice right beside me. How did he even get over here without me seeing him? "I- uh. I'm glad you came out of your room."

I look over at him, tilting my head up to meet his eyes. "Thanks. I, um, am glad as well." Gio smiles down at me and his arm lifts. He hesitates when it's about halfway towards me before deciding to keep going. His finger meets my cheek, my eyes widen but he keeps his eyes locked on mine as he pushes what I assume to be a lock of hair off my face and behind my ear.

He pulls his hand back quickly as if he was burned from touching me. "Sorry I shouldn't have-"

"It's alright," I quickly reassure.

My cheek burns where his finger seemed to drag and I wonder if the fire I feel beneath my skin shows as a blush on my face. I lower my head and all my hair falls in front of me. I shake my head before roughly trying to shove it all behind my head and when it just keeps falling forward I let out a huff while rubbing my forehead.

"Hey, hey, not so rough." Two of Gio's fingers touch underneath my chin and he slowly uses them to lift my face. Keeping his fingers beneath my jaw, he uses his other hand to gently push my hair back behind my shoulders.

"There," he whispers as he lets his fingers run over the side of my face, tracing my cheekbone and jawline before he seems to snap himself out of the sort of daze he was in, taking his hands away from me. He clears his throat, "You ah- you shouldn't be so rough with yourself. You-" he trails off, but I can't take my eyes off him and when he notices me still looking at him he swallows and blurts out, "You're very pretty you know?"

His own eyes widen just as mine do and it seems a pink hue is traveling up his neck and making its way to his cheeks. My face pulls at my lips and I smile so brightly up at him that I'm sure I'm blinding him. I quickly lower my eyes again, somewhat embarrassed by my reaction.

I think he is the first man to ever say that while actually talking about me.

Not just my looks. Not just my face or body. But me as a whole. Me as a person.