Roy's Island_NathanALawson

Title: Roy’s Island 

Username: NathanALawson

Genre: Short Story & Romance & Fantasy 

Rating: N/A

Summary:

Roy’s Island:

Roy dreams himself to the same island every night, and never encounters anything unexpected; until his dream is invaded...

# Of Chapters I've Read: 1/1 (completed)

Other Works I've Read: ‘I Met A Monster’, ‘The Obvious Solution’, ‘Sliding’, and ‘Stuck’.

MY REVIEW:                

I think I have to start this review with a little disclaimer, considering that I have read almost every short story that he has posted (5 out of 6). I kept seeing his advertisments in the SYS club, but it wasn't a deal...I was just finally sucked in.  

Nathan has a very sophisticated style of writing, with mature storylines and great descriptions. He is very good at building little worlds and then luring you into them. He also isn’t afraid of sad endings, which I find really refreshing (especially on Wattpad).

The story-lines that he constructs, will really make you think. At first glance, his work may seem whimsical, but more serious metaphors quickly emerge. The stories are not all lighthearted and fluff (except maybe ‘The Obvious Solution’). I know that it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I would definitely check out one of his stories if you haven’t already.

All of the short stories are two to four pages long, and vary in genre (mostly romance, thriller or fantasy). My favorite for reasons that might not make sense would be, “Roy’s Island.” 

Roy is a man who prefers to live in his own little island, a world he has carefully constructed in his mind. I think as writers, this is something that a lot of us can relate too. Sometimes the worlds we create seem more real to us, and that is exactly what happens to Roy.

The story begins on quite a humorous note, but really is a bittersweet tale. There are elements of fantasy in the work, but unlike his other shorts this one doesn't include magical creatures. The illusions are a little more subtle. I actually just sat quietly after reading the story, just to process it all. 

Overall Rating: ★★★★★

Author's Note-

Check out NathanALawson's interview !