Justice

Elizabeth

Monday, 13 February 2017

I never cared what my office looked like, so I'd kept the standard issue clunkers of government furniture. My incumbent however, was clearly of the opposite mind. Newly appointed District Attorney, Timothy Prior had settled in very comfortably in my old office.

He'd redecorated quiet a bit. Complete with a new phone!

Everything wooden was now glass. The shelves filled with ceramics and pot plants instead of books. His qualifications lined the left wall, a shrieking wail of self-importance and insecurities. Who would question that the DA was qualified for their job?

It looked like a corner office that belonged in a TV show. All that was missing was the floor to ceiling window.

The three of us stare admiring the golden chalice box on his desk. On my left, Maria is tense with nervous energy. Dressed in a citrus yellow, batwing sleeve, wrap dress this was the only time I wasn't mad at her choice of her outfit. It was a fitting celebration for this moment.

"This is it?" Timothy asks dragging the box towards himself and starting on the topmost thick folder.

Gun to my head, if I had to describe Timothy Prior I'd admit that he was quiet handsome. In an average, youth pastor type of way. His eyes had a brooding intensity made deeper by the growing lines on his face. The only thing definitive about him was his slowly balding Ivy League haircut.

Having forced Timothy to take her as second chair, instead of answering him myself, I turn to Maria as the now lead expert on the case.

"Uh- yes," Maria's hoarse voice starts off shakily. But then as if a light switch is turned on, the lawyer centers herself with a breath and begins in her CSI presentation voice that I've actually grown fond of. "It's all there sir. Mr. Davison's diary, the IRS 10c Wellness fee, witness statements all in physical and digitized format. We also took the liberty to create cloud backups."

Timothy drops the folder back into the box and simply looks up at us.

"And you've just been sitting on this? This is incredible."

"I'll obviously testify." I say ignoring him. "We've also hidden Mr. Davison. Maria will get you in contact when the time comes." I stand to leave and Maria follows my lead.

"Move quickly on this Timothy. Get the paperwork filed and have an arrest by the end of today. No bail. Seize their offices, subpoena everything and anyone on their pay roll."

"Don't worry Elizabeth," he stands, adjusts his tie and reaches out for a handshake. "I won't make the same mistakes as you."

Oh Timothy even today you still think you're better than me.

"I believe that's Madam Secretary to you Tim." I ignoring the outstretched hand and smugly turning my back to him.

***

Outside I'm followed by the two suited shadows that have been assigned to me. It was easier to ignore Abby's security detail because my eyes were only for her. But these guys...my God, it's only been a few days but their presence is already grating at the edge of my nerves. Ignoring them isn't easy. They're constant. Doors are suddenly opened for me. Wrists are whispered into every time I walk by. Somebody updates me on MY movements and the routes that'll I'll take for MY schedule! Just. Always. Constantly there!

"Madam Secretary! Madam Secretary!"

I turn to see my former intern walking towards me.

I smile, "You don't have to call me that Maria. I'm reserving it for short assholes with superiority complexes."

"Oh." She chuckles breathlessly. Then she engulfs me in a bear hug. Finding myself trapped in a haze of vanilla and yellow, I barely move as I process this invasion of space.

"Thank you!" She says finally letting go. "I'm...I...Thank you Miss Masey. This is..." She starts lost for words. "Its just..."

I smile, tilting my head and say: "Brighter than Jesus's halo."

***

The aeroplane felt like home. It was a cozy private lounge for my team, one where you could easily curl up and sleep as if it was a Tuesday evening on your couch. Instead, I followed the arrest of the Trillium bosses on Twitter. Timothy's righteous face shown briefly at Andre Goldmann's house as they raided his home.

My body has been perpetually exhausted since yesterday - trying to fight off thinking about her. As the engines turned, my mind relaxed into dreaming mode. I'd seen more than enough, and I trusted that the team could take it from here. There were thousands of miles to go before landing in Botswana, my first of many international visits, all I had to do was let this steel bird fly me there.