Affair

Abigail
16 October 2016
Monday: 2 Days before debate day

Encased in the heavy hug of the mustard duvet, my conscious is dragged out of sleep by a faded pitter-patter of water. The cuddle, of the feather-filled inner, is cosy against my already languorous skin. It wasn't the same as a warm body but it helped recreate the warmth of my missing companion. What time is it?

The cotton-silk blend crinkle of covers harmonized with the bath water as my legs involuntarily rub against each other. In the case of an emergency, I'm pretty sure Carlson would have a hard time finding me underneath the nest of linens that snuggle my morning wake. Liz's scent engulfs me amongst the filtering sun rays as I stuffed my face into her pillow. Duck feathers with a dash of Masey would be a lucrative duvet line.

"Good morning." Liz's burr trickles into the room to my left.

My squint peers up from the now deformed pillow to be met with her glorious half covered form. With one in her hand to her hair and another around her lower half, the lawyer was using up all of my good cotton bath towels. Not that I minded - it was a great view to wake up to. Her little hand rub does nothing to dry her dark hair, wet and stringy against her face, as she pads softly towards the bed.

Memories of last night flash like slow motion GIFs and my lips involuntarily snake into my flirtatious curl.

"Good morning." I say, staring at my lover and willing her back in bed.

All I'm greeted with is the freckled expanse of Liz's back as she bends over to pick something up from the polished wood floor. However, just as I begin to enjoy the sinuous curves of her arch, Liz stands up straight with last night's lacy boy shorts in her hands. My brows furrow in confusion at the strained smile I get in return.

"Come back to bed." I mumble. My hand reaching for her to play 'convince the SA to stay'. But even after a moment, it lies limp on the covers waiting for its counterpart to give it life. I lie prone with my neck twisted to see her reaction properly.

"Abby you know I can't." She says sliding the underwear over her unshaven leg and letting the towel drop to the floor. Usually I can at least get a forehead kiss and a laugh for my efforts. Instead Liz barely glances in my direction and continues to walk around the bed collecting evidence of last night's lovemaking - most of which is scattered amongst the burnt out tea light candles.

"Yes, I know," I drag my syllables. "But you love me now, so..." I trail off playfully waiting for a reaction. Still, Liz continues to putter around the room continuing her morning regime. Most of her clothes now collected and awaiting their commander at the edge of the bed.

"Liz," I venture.

"Yeah? Have you seen my earrings?" Her now clothed back asks me. I lay in confusion watching her go up and down, from floor to drawer, and drawer to bed. Constantly moving, constantly not seeing me. I know the cracks and crevices of Liz's morning routine after spending a night with me and even at our most uncertain, ignoring me was never a part of it.

"Liz?"

"Yeah?" Her head sort of turns in my direction as she blindly tries to attach her left earring, but just as quickly, my lover bends to grab the other half of her jewelry and adorn the other ear.

"Are you alright?"

"What?" She says a little too dramatically confused. "Uhm, yeah why, why would you ask that?" she stutters.

Elizabeth Masey never stutters.

For the first time this morning, I twist and sit to stare at my girlfriend's side profile. You'd think she would be well-rested after last night. We'd passed out so completely, not even the timed lavender-scented puff of the air freshener woke us up. It usually scares her right out of sleep, which then makes her wake me up. Liz hated the thing. I'd taken to switching it off whenever she was around but in the midst of last night's confession, I had forgotten and left it on - but we'd slept right through it.