Dinner for Two

Abigail
Friday evening, 21 October 2016

"Just go-o." Liz stands arms akimbo waiting for me to leave the kitchen. I'm laughing throughout because she's being ridiculous.

"You didn't chase me out when you plated for the agents, it's the same thing?"

"Its not the same, I have to pre-sent it to you." She says with her right palm facing upwards.

"What am I supposed to do though." I laugh. "Just go sit alone in the dark."

"Why would you do that, there's lights. - Look, hey, I don't know, set the table, put on some music. Just go." The big spoon (wooden of course) is pointed accusingly at me.

"Okay, okay. Yes mam." I grab a fresh bottle of wine and the cognac from the shelf and turn to the right in the lounge. Instead of sitting in the dark I turn the light setting to low and plug the bluetooth to my phone playlist.

Although rustic and ancient, the entertainment system is pretty updated. They have those lean sleek long black speakers along with a wide inch onyx black TV.

"This better not be another Mrs Clark thing!" I project so that she hears me from the kitchen. I can hear her chuckle mingle with the clink of crockery. We would be eating any minute now.

My lips are chapped from hunger and wine but the smells from the kitchen feel worth the wait. The aromatic scent of roasted chicken is infused so well with the sweet seasoned vegetables, they've permeated every crease of the cabin.

My anticipation is being baited by the sounds from the kitchen. The hum of the microwave livens up the cabin amidst my and Liz's domestic silence. The crockery clangs like dull bells as she takes them from their cupboard.

I can imagine clearly what she's doing because I'd watched her meticulously plate, and cover in foil, four identical plates for the agents just minutes before. Which is why I don't understand why I have to leave the kitchen and wait in here.

I'm going to select something we can both listen to. The mellow of the wine is sneaky on my senses and I want something that will set the mood. Between Elizabeth's Bonnie Raitt, Birdie and Billy Joel and my Hozier, Ellie Goulding and Sam Cooke, finding a common playlist for us is always a tussle. Occasionally we'd meet somewhere in between - particularly with blues and country. But most of the time I just bullied her into whatever I wanted to listen to or distracted her with kisses.

Instead of combing through my playlist, I sit down on the plush leather couch and type the words: 'dinner for two', deciding to trust in the God's of Spotify's music selection.

Just as the weightless chords of an acoustic guitar gently land on my ears, Liz turns the corner with a tray with two plates of food.

I don't know what's more mouthwatering, the perched and browned chicken amongst a sea of bright vegetables or the woman bringing them to me.

"Should we sit by the fireplace.?" She asks. Awkardly standing like she's waiting to be shown to her table at a restuarant.

"Uhm, yeah." I'm taken out of my trance moving the provided throw and oversized leather cushions to the floor. The breathless prose of Corinne Bailey Rae probably makes this moment a bit more magical than it seemed. The cathartic thrum of her strings, linger and hold the silence in dreamlike suspense.

Having to push the wooden coffee table back, I place us just outside of the fireplaces reach so as not to overheat ourselves. The low light and fireplace cast a barrier against the decending night chill - encasing us in the warm embrace of affection.

Somehow everything is just perfect.

The cushion I've chosen to fall into huffs with depression at my weight. Liz hands me both the plates to hold saying: "are you ready to eat your words?"

She smirks and moves to collect the drinks and glasses behind me on the table. Her cognac glows gold against the fire and I wish I had a taste for it. If only to complete the now very elegant atmosphere. Instead I was stuck with the subpar Earl's Fine Wine's bottle of Merlot.

"I was never going to win against Mrs Clark. If I'd known I never would've made the bet."

"Oh no. No way Mitchell, you are not backing out now."

"I never said I was. - - so what do you want?" I ask smiling.

I watch her finish the sign of the cross and silent prayer she does before eating. A habit from 7 years of primary Catholic schooling. My fork has already pierced the soft skin of the freckled potato and is ready to devour my meal.

"We-ell?" She thinks, eyes wide and glistening with devious mischief. The curves of her cheeks are high as she chews through her first bite.

"Oh my God Liz this is amazing!" The flavours are amazing. I can taste the hints of Rosemary that seep into the gravy. Mixed with the salty sweetness of butternut and potatoes is a festival of colour. I lick my lips to savour the taste.

I can lie and say the food is good because I was already ravenous, but everything is cooked to perfection. The perfect seasoning to the perfect texture. The chicken with rosemary crisps on its browned skin lingers on the palate.

It's so juicy.

"Oh my God Liz. Okay spit it out, I will give you whatever you want. Tell me and I'll do it."

"Good because I'm not letting you get out of this." She says.

"Wha-at? Come on, that smile on your face. What is it?"

"You know for someone who brags about her taste in music. I've never heard you sing." She smirks into her plate and continues eating. My hand pauses mid giving the potato a swim in the gravy.

"Noo." I say shaking my head. "Uh-ah. No. No way. Not that."

She cackles. "You said anything Abigail. You said anything and this is my price."

"You know I can't sing." I chuckle.

"I know." She nods smiling whilst. Her hand is hovering over her mouth to hide her chews. "But you said -anything."

"Yeah, I meant like in sex. Obviously I meant sex." That was obvious right. Girlfriend makes silly bet as a joke, you pay it in kisses, obviously.

"Uh-ah. Abigail Mitchell, you honour your word. I want a song and I want it belted out across the Pines as if you father's life depended on it."

She looks so smug with her hair loosely tossed over her shoulder..

"Alright fine." I shrug as if it's no big deal to me. "It'll be worse for you than me."

* * *
A sincere thank you to smithbrit1018 for this chapter. Thank you for the suggestions.
♥️♥️♥️