Affair

Elizabeth
Friday 21 October 2016

Organizing a weekend away for two people who don't want to be seen is quiet the choreography and money pit. I'd asked Tony to handle the reservations and payments - they couldn't come from me. Which meant, we finally had to address the admission of what he'd seen on the day of my father's funeral.

Then there was the issue of cordoning the surrounding area to bar access from anyone else. Which the cabin owners had complained about and required a hefty price for the concession. They too were kept in the dark about who would be occupying the space - the keys being collected by Carlson, Abigail's head of security. We couldn't take the same car. A small grace because I didn't want to be part of Abigail's growing motorcade.

We also had to pay extra to make sure the fridge and pantry were fully stocked with anything and everything we needed for three days. Leaving on Sunday, we were going to be locked in for the duration of the weekend.

Gravel crackles beneath the weight of the rented Hyundai x35. I've arrived far into the creek, where an L-shaped two room log cabin stands. I can finally see why Abigail had gushed over it.

The wood on its surface is as dark as black except for the steel grey chimney jutting out of the tiled roof. A family cabin, with a large varnished ramp made for barbecues and story nights. The cabin is the only thing here. Save for the guarding trees, no other houses surround us. I would think the place abandoned if it wasn't for the giggling fairy light sparkling from the inside.

Ignoring the security agents is second nature to me now, as I walk towards the house.

"Hi." She says standing at the doorway in dark jeans and tan boots. The curves of my lips curl of their own volition. How I wish she would wrap herself against me as she usually does. But she's only agreed to being here. I haven't been forgiven yet.

"Hi." I smile at her like an idiot and she rolls her eyes turning back inside the dimly lit cabin. I'm still smiling even as I watch her hips sway into the open plan living room with a fireplace.

Everything looks like how you'd expect a getaway cabin to look like. The walls were a mixture of the dark wood outside and mismatched stone walls. A fireplace, two sofas with a 'grandma's floral upholstery complete with a rocking chair; and a deer antler chandelier made up the lounge.

"I've been trying to get the fire going." Her volume fades as I turn towards the bedrooms. "But it's not as easy as they make it seem in the movies."

"Did you put the blitz in?" I shout from the bedroom as I unpack my bag.

"No. I tried the logs but they refuse to burn. Is this what you're talking about?" She's standing against the door frame looking confused with a packet of white fire lighters in her hand.

I smile. "Yes. Just sprinkle them over the logs." My suggestion is met with disgust as she smells them.

"I'll just wait for you to do it." She sits on the cream covered bed content to watch me putter and shove my clothes into the small wooden closet.

"I didn't know you owned jeans." She says.

My chuckles ring out against the chirp of the forest.

"I don't. I had to buy these."

"Ugh, God you're disgusting. You have some kind of aversion to cotton and normal clothing maybe?"

"Hey, there's nothing wrong with the way I dress."

"Yeah, tell that to your intern." I turn in mock outrage, midway to hanging up a cardigan. There's a closed smirk on my girlfriend's face, her arched right brow high on her forehead, with her almonds twinkling in mischief.

Abigial is thr one who had caught on to the real reason I lamented over my interns wardrobe. She'd figured it out before me. After casually asking how my new intern was, I'd answered 'great' and then gone off on a whine about her not wearing more subdued colours to properly 'reflect the office of the District Attorney better'. The office of the District Attorney being me of course. I was being petulant but I hadn't expected her to call me out on it. Especially not by very childishly cackling and saying: "Is the stwates attworney mad coz her assistant won't wear matching outfits."

"I should never have told you that." I laugh.

God, just being in Abigail's presence alleviates the pressure in my head. Its like she was the light that gave birth to the universe. Filling the dark mass with life at everything she touched.

"Thank you." I say looking at her. "For coming."

I watch her inhale my words and look away to the window.

"Why am I here? What is this Elizabeth?"

"This." I pull her to her feet. Her perfume is light from familiarity I don't think she's put it on but rather its clung to the memory of her clothing. "Is me commiting myself to you."

My smile is wide because I feel like I'm in middle school asking her to be my girlfriend.

"I'm serious about you Abigail Mitchell. I promise not to deflect any questions you ask. I promise to be there at whatever time you call to tell me about your day. And more importantly, I promise never to walk out on you ever again. - And if I do you have every right to run me over until I give you the answers you need."

Her eyebrows are lifted. "Is this a proposal?" She says sarcastically.

"This, is a carte blanche on Elizabeth Masey. I am yours Abigail Mitchell." I open my arms wide in exaggareation. "Ask me anything you want. Everything you've ever wanted to know a-and I promise to answer it without fear or favour."

"Anything?" I don't like the boyish wonder that has crept on her face.

"Anything."

"And you'll just answer me honestly."

Finally. I see the graces of a thaw with the crack of a smile on her face.

"Oh-ho ho. Elizabeth Masey you have no idea what you're getting yourself into."