beneath the mask 22

Gabriel’s arms were around me, I had cooled down by now. He was still looking at me confused, I could see how badly he wanted to know what was wrong but he didn’t push me to tell him. I didn’t want to tell him either, he will not handle it well.

“Aimee.” He said softly tugging my hair behind my ears.

I looked at him and smiled.

“It’s nothing, I was just having some pretty bad mood swings.” I lied.

He frowned and didn’t look convinced at all.

“Did anybody hurt you again? I swear-” he started.

“No, no one did. I…”

“You what?” he asked.

“I just realized something.” I said slowly.

“What’s that?”

I closed my eyes for a moment and sighed heavily. Then, I opened them again and found a pair or penetrating blue-grey eyes staring right at me.

“I just realized that we can’t be together forever.” I whispered.

He looked confused and frowned.

“Of course we can, forever and ever. You said so yourself.” He said.

His voice was quite stern.

“I made a mistake.” I said not meeting his eyes.

He didn’t speak and there was complete silence.

“Aimee, what’s wrong with you?” he said, his voice more calm now.

I shook my head. “Nothing.”

“Then, why are you saying all this?” he demanded.

I raised my head and looked at him.

“Gabriel, we can’t be together.” I said.

The words tasted bitter and with each passing second, I could feel myself eroding inside.

His eyes widened for a second then, he became angry.

“Yes, we can and we will! Aimee, I don’t understand you, you were fine yesterday! I gave you the ring for a reason, doesn’t it mean anything to you?” he said angrily.

I looked at him and wished I was dead but he deserved more, he deserved someone who could always be there for him, forever.

I slipped the ring off my ringer and took his hand, placing it there. He looked shock as he looked back and forth at me and the ring in his hands.

“I’m so sorry Gabriel. You need to give this someone who actually deserves it.” I whispered.

He looked at me with shocked eyes and said nothing.

I couldn’t stay with him. It would be too painful if I went and never came back. It’s better I end it now so that he can be happy with someone else. I leaned forward and hugged him. His body was stiff and he didn’t react. After a moment I leaned away and kissed his forehead.

“Goodbye Gabriel.” I whispered.

His eyes were on mine and they held the same shocked expression and this time with a little anger.

I got up and walked to the door. I couldn’t let him suffer with me, this is my burden and I absolutely refuse to share it with him. I had to fight, and I will not allow him to help or stop me.

Just as I placed my hand on the door knob, I was roughly swung around.

“How can you say that! You said you loved me!” he hissed angrily.