V. A Day With The Outriders

"Alright, if I put this in now, this should work... I think." You muttered as you held the flask at an angle so that a drop of liquid can fall onto the test plate.

"Steady..." You tilt the flask ever so slightly, the contents of which lay dangerously close to the edge.

One drop of the dark fluid falls.

*BOOM*

"Fuck!" You grunted as you were propelled to the wall behind you, plumes of smoke engulfing the lab.

Gaining your strength, you immediately dashed for the windows and opened them wide. Knowing the reaction and the compounds used created a potentially harmful excess, you'd be none the wiser.

"Goddamnit..." You stood up, leaning against the wall. "The physics of this world are weird-"

"SORA WHAT WAS THAT?!" An enraged Varka bursts into the lab, ink splattered all over his right hand. 

"Uhm, nothing serious, sir!" You stood in attention. "Just experimenting on a formula I was curious about!"

Varka scoffs. "'Nothing serious' he says, as my headquarters burns to the ground. If this isn't serious, then what would happen if you were to study something serious?"

He rubs the skin between his eyes. "Not to mention that you're not even a proper Knight yet. I know that you'll most likely spend your days here, but when an emergency arises, we would need all the Knights we can get. Not just the guards and outriders, but also the couriers, librarians, and quartermasters."

He looks up to you. "Can you wield a weapon?"

"Yes, sir. I can use a sword." You answered in quick fashion.

"Can you use your vision?"

"To a certain level, yes."

"Then you need to surpass that level. You're now considered one of the more powerful knights, and as such, you need to pass the Chivalry exam. Especially that you're now the Chief Alchemist. You'll lead your own Company, the Investigations Company. You understand?"

"Yes sir."

"Good," Varka turns to leave you be, but then he twists around. "Also, be advised that this facility will only be used to house projects that doesn't involve Elemental Reactions or materials similar to it."

"But, where do I experiment those materials, sir?" You perked up in confusion.

"Ragnvindr told me that he's giving you the old cabin north of here. You can use that instead."

Varka then exits the lab, leaving you behind. You sighed, and began cleaning up the mess your previous experiment has made.

It's been a few weeks since your arrival, and you can't help but feel ever so bored at your current predicament. Sure, you'd rather live a peaceful life than being constantly on edge in a war somewhere, but it comes with a cost for your adventuring soul.

After work, you'd go out with either Venti or Crepus to train at Windrise. With every day passing by, you can feel the muscle memory and reflexes kicking in. You'd also meet Absi every now and then, patrolling the road leading to Dadaupa Gorge. He said that tensions between the Meaty and Eclipse tribes have gotten out of control, and patrols are put into place by Detaka to guard their territory. You can't help but wish the best for your primal friend, as you can't really do anything to assist them. At night, you'd work at Angel's Share, serving drinks to patrons, which usually consists of off-duty knights. 

During these few weeks, however, you found out that this world truly acts different than yours. You did have the help of your smartphone, but you insisted in experimenting everything that you know about the elements and their reactions with one another. The compounds you were trying to mix together were pyro and electro slime secretions. You were trying to figure out how on earth you'd create a liquid, portable, combustive mixture.