Fontaine and its Troubles

Hello there! 

It's been a while. Time flies fast when you're flapping about writing, and that is particularly worthy of note considering how Genshin has brought... let's just say, peculiar circumstances.

So, originally, this story would be centered around Sora—I'm sorry, you—adapting and thriving in Teyvat before eventually we'd get into the good stuff.

By quite the consideration for the story, the good stuff includes having Fontaine as a pivotal point in the story (like, there'd be a big flipping crisis there).

Then school started to get real, so naturally, I laid off this piece for, I dunno, the school break—maybe the weekends, if I'm lucky.

Then Fontaine came out.

And it went completely out of bounds from what I had imagined Fontaine would look like.

And in comes Madame Arlecchino.

*cries silently in the corner of my room*

One curious mind might ask, what's wrong with that? Isn't it, like, hella convenient for Mihoyo to practically do all the worldbuilding for you, as is the case for the entire fanfiction community?

Well, forgive my absurd, perfectionist self, but here's the difference between writing something that doesn't exist and writing something that does exist. 

Before this, Fontaine was a blank canvas. I could say Fontaine was ruled by a spoon, and it had an army of crabs, and the Hydro Archon was a salmon, and it would work. Why? Because Fontaine doesn't exist yet!  It's like a fugazi. Y'know what a fugazi is? It's fake, it's fairy dust, the ship hasn't landed, it's not on the elemental chart—it's not flipping real!

It'd be a different story if, say, I suddenly make Liyue 'The Land of Crabs.' You'd laugh, thinking I must've had a really bad dream last night. That doesn't work because it already exists to an extent. People know it—me and you know about it. The canvas is already filled, so what's the point of scribbling your work on someone else's?

*inhales*

With that in mind, the story will need time to be adjusted according to the newly filled canvas of Fontaine, thus throwing weeks' worth of planning out of the window (which includes a really funni LOTR reference, but who cares, right?)

*exhales*

Sorry for the lack of updates, and thank you for taking the time from your day to read a teenager's daydream of a digital fantasy.

Have a good day, kamerads.
Splyzug.