𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓

𝕋𝕙𝕖 ℕ𝕖𝕨 𝕄𝕚𝕤𝕤𝕚𝕠𝕟

✃✃✃✃✃✃✃✃✃

The group found themselves eating dinner in the cafeteria, as empty and grey as the day before. Flor and Leen were barely eating anything, and the rest weren't in a much better condition. Not every day were they asked to meet with a higher-up of an organisation that apparently used children as lab rats.

"Something's not right," Leen mumbled to herself.

"What do you mean?" Flor turned her head to glance at Leen, whose fork kept poking a piece of meat.

"First, they took us to some building for months. With some strict tasks every week. Then they take us away from there. And now they're about to give us some important task for no apparent reason? It just doesn't add up." Leen let go of her fork angrily. "I'm tired of this crap, and we haven't even started."

"Maybe we're giving them more credit than they deserve," Rowan suggested. "Maybe they're just huge idiots."

"With the way they speak? No way." George shook his head after taking another spoonful of soup.

"And how come you're eating?" Henry questioned.

"I won't starve because a rat-faced man is about to tell us something we'll be literally forced to do. Our future selves can figure it out when it happens. Right now, I'll rather eat," George replied, resting his head on his hand.

"That's a sunny way to see the situation," Bea commented sarcastically.

Remembering his strange conversation with Thomas the day before, William decided to side with George. He still had to wait until the boy figured out a plan. So, for now, he would have to do the only thing he could; follow WICKED's plans.

"It's not a bad idea, though. Let's not give them even more power over us. It's not like we can do anything about it, anyway." He shrugged his shoulders, taking back his fork to finish his meal.

Some followed suit, and others took slightly more time to give in. However, in the end, no one wanted to show how much the situation affected them.

It was a surprise to them when, after dinner, Janson informed them that Chancellor Paige wanted to talk to them immediately. They followed him around the Sanctuary, which was more like a maze than a supposed refuge for the Immunes.

Walking through a panel door, the group glanced all around them. The vast room was filled with experiment cabinets on each side, only letting space for a couple paths. They got to the middle of the room, stopping before a projection of an unfamiliar room, way cleaner and more organised than the one they were currently in.

"Good evening, Doctor Paige." Janson greeted a woman that had just walked into the frame. "Lovely to see you again."

"Change of plans, Janson." The woman's voice was icy, almost uninterested in what the man in front of her was saying. "The cure's progress is slow. I was hoping we wouldn't have to face such a situation, but I'm afraid those who perform optimally during Phase One of the Maze Trials must continue to be tested for Phase Two."

Trials? Wasn't that what Thomas said yesterday? Something about altering the Trials. William thought, his eyes not leaving the woman as Janson demonstrated his confusion.

"Phase Two? I wasn't informed the Elites had come up with one yet."

"They haven't." Doctor Paige informed. "The Variables require Phase Two not to be known or thought of by the Elites. I just received board approval. You'll subtly push those chosen to perform their own break-out mission."