𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑𝟔

𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔹𝕖𝕘𝕚𝕟𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕆𝕗 𝔸𝕝𝕝 ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕠𝕤

✃✃✃✃✃✃✃✃✃

A deep-piercing chill ran down Group S's spines the moment they encountered their friends' figures, all dressed up in guard suits. Confusion took over their minds for a split second, trying to make sense of how quickly they had all appeared when Gally's plan wasn't such. Then, as the realisation kicked in, a mix of anger and worry crept up until it overpowered their sympathy. They hadn't been told Gally's true plan to make sure they wouldn't try to delay the rest any further, to make sure they wouldn't carry out the plan without them.

The Immunes had just started to carry the passed-out guards into the cells and tie them down when Mae stomped across the room to Thomas. She was furious, demanding an explanation as to why he was there, with Newt and Chuck of all people. Thomas explained right away, transforming what looked like a threatening situation into a continuous exchange of "No, I want to protect you" from the two participants. Unsurprisingly, both were oblivious to that fact, though nobody else was as blind or deaf as they were.

Thomas, however, saw something nobody else did. It could be due to the closeness, or, since he always ended up staring into Mae's eyes, he knew them by heart, but the two black dots she currently had for eyes were nothing like their usual colour. It worried him sick; something he could not admit in front of her. Not for his own pride, but for how she would take in the news in her state. If she had snapped at his presence alone in WICKED's building, what could be her reaction knowing that nobody had had to tell him about her plan this time? That he had figured it out by himself. All because of how worried he was about her. Because he knew that, as long as it meant keeping everyone safe, the S's would do anything, even if it meant lying, killing, or dying. They could delude themselves as much as they wanted, but he had seen it multiple times. None would leave anybody behind, even if their lives depended on it.

"You two," called Abraham. "Here. Now."

While Thomas complied right away, Mae didn't. She stayed in her place, eyes flaring with worry now more than rage. Abraham didn't wait for her, though. Instead, he raised his voice enough for everyone in Sublevel three to listen to him and gave the bad news. Minho had been transported to the general laboratories on the other side of the building, while all guards had been notified of William's disappearance, and branded him dangerous. Apparently, Doctor Earl's timed check-up in the Tests Room had become the discovery of his corpse.

"You guys knew my kid the longest." Abraham turned to look at Group S. "Does he have a favourite place? Somewhere he usually went when he was angry or just wanted to isolate himself from everyone."

The five S's stopped to think, glancing among themselves as they tried to recollect the entire month they had been together with William before the Right Arm's adaptation mission threw everything into chaos. Had he ever done anything out of the ordinary? In fact, what would be ordinary for him to do? Whenever they weren't in their quarters, they were eating in the cafeteria, outside looking for the Right Arm or killing Cranks. Were there any recurrent patterns in such a chaotic schedule?

George's eyes widened for a split second. "He did."

"The bathroom," Flor added, receiving odd looks from those outside Group S. "After his nightmares, he would go to the bathroom to put his head under the sink. Not one time he stayed in his bed or tried to go back to sleep."

"Sometimes he even took a while to turn on the lights," Leen concluded.

Either the explanation had surprised Teresa and Abraham enough to ignore them, or they knew something the others clearly did not. With the screens still flickering and the cameras malfunctioning, they put all their attention on a place in particular, but the cameras didn't show whatever they were expecting.