𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟑

𝕋𝕙𝕖 ℝ𝕖𝕒𝕝 𝕄𝕚𝕤𝕤𝕚𝕠𝕟 𝔹𝕖𝕘𝕚𝕟𝕤

✃✃✃✃✃✃✃✃✃

Not minding the constant glances from his doctor, William walked into the cafeteria and directed himself to the trays of food before going anywhere else. His eyes were stuck on the possibilities. Somehow, it felt like it would be his last meal.

Part of his mind reprimanded him. It was true, being sent to Probation, whatever it was, wasn't good. However, he had apparently survived it years ago. And, if he had done it once, who said he couldn't do it twice?

The gloomiest part of his mind intervened in that area. His mission, the real reason why his group even existed, would never find an end. Just like the cure, there was no telling if WICKED would ever give up, or finally find a solution. And, if he was gone and his friends betrayed the group of boys to get him back, could that really mean their deaths?

How many would that be at that point? Twenty? Thirty? Forty? William didn't want anybody to die because of him. Instead, seeing his friends happily chatting and enjoying the moment, even if he knew he would be gone soon enough, made his lips curve into a barely noticeable smile.

No one needed to die. As long as WICKED never found them, they would all be safe. Thomas just needed to find the last clues, which he would do shortly, and hopefully, they would all be on a rocky trip to safety.

Although William had to admit, not being there for his friends' future struggle made him feel sick.

"Having trouble deciding what to eat?" Flor asked, a hand landing on William's shoulder to snap him out of the daze he had been in for the last minute. "What's wrong? What did they do to you?"

William doubted, wanting nothing more than to vent about everything he had overheard, and the million thoughts running around his head due to his memories. But he knew he couldn't do that. It wasn't safe.

So he shook his head and laughed softly. "My bloody arm hurts. No idea what they did, but I feel fine apart from that."

Flor's hand lowered gently to his back, rubbing it comfortingly. "If you need anything, I'll be with the others, OK?"

Just as she was about to head back, William turned his head. "Flor, one thing. I . . . let's just take care of those guys, alright?" He smiled at her, trying to mask his fear, as he whispered. "When we're in that safe place, I don't want anyone going back here."

It took her a second to realise what he meant, and scoffed at him with a playful grin. "Well, that wasn't the plan, anyway."

"Yeah, I know . . . just making sure." With a smile on his face, he ruffled Flor's hair, making her jerk out of his reach with a shriek.

"Don't do that again! You know how darn messy my hair already is. No need for you to mess it up even more!" she exclaimed as she laughed. "Anyway, I'm going back before you decide to act any more weirdly."

"OK, I'll be there in a second, too."

William picked food at random, not feeling specially hungry for anything. His tray had a bowl of soup and a slice of bread, but it was enough for him. Although, perhaps, not for his friends, who eyed him worryingly as he sat down again between Newt and Chuck.

"Not hungry?" asked Newt.

"Not really," replied William, eating the bread before he picked up the spoon. "And the soup's boiling hot, so I might just take a long time to eat and then end up eating seconds." His eyes travelled to Mae and Rowan, both staring at him. "So don't look at me like that."